Search the forum,

Discuss is it a good time to go at it alone! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

so-solar

I have been in the game 12 years now, fully gas safe registered,insured,qualified, served a full apprentiship with a big building services company. I have maintained,repaired and installed and feel more than confident in my abilities, I have been sub contracting in the new build game for the last 4 years but have kept my private side alive weekends and evenings. I have a few customers that use me as there plumber but i am finding that alot of people that i am recommended to want me there week days and not weekends or evenings, which is understandable!

I have had a terrible month on site and i have just received the final e mail telling me that the only way the builder can save is to cut 20% off of the prices we a re currently working for, I have just sat and thought long and hard and feel that there is more to this game than somebody constantly taking the p..s out of us and demanding hollywood plumbing for pittance!

I have all of the required tools, a new van, a little bit of money behind me! enough to see me through until january/february.

Am i doing the right thing if i arrive on site tomorrow,collect my kit and drive straight to the printers and get some flyers printed then begin delivering?

Cheers

How about asking if you can work 4 days a week? This is 20% and it will still give you some income as the recession is hitting the self employed just as much (if not more). If you suggest Mon-Thur or Tue-Fri it gives you three days to do the bigger jobs.

I have tried asking for less days but they are not interested as they want us there 40 hours a week!

With an attitude like that how are they going to keep a happy workforce? The biggest reason companies are successful (after customer service) is how they look after their staff. Can you see someone like Jamie Oliver treating you like this?

Having a quick re-read of your post, if you think you can survive without work for 3 months and only have a few small jobs paying around £25 net of all expenses, it might be worth stomping out in the morning.

It's one heck of a risk though, especially if you have a family to look after.

Successful entreprenuers are risk takers though and sometimes their risks fail but they win in the end.

I can't tell you to go for it but if you do .... GOOD LUCK!!!

the decision to go it alone can only be yours. i did it almost two years ago after 23 years as a bus driver and don't regret it one bit. good luck in whatever you decide, although i would probably wait until after christmas and get a bit more noney behind me.

... i did it almost two years ago after 23 years as a bus driver and don't regret it one bit ...

With that estate behind you in your avatar I'm not surprised!!! Couldn't afford much more than a few grass blades on a bus driver's wage (despite the responsibility)

:p

But I still maintain, it's one huge risk. And if it pays off, it's hugely gratifying!

go for it ,i did about 4 yrs ago.really hard at first getting name about,they say cowboy builders but you get rogue customers so watch out for them, get money up front for metarials dont do flyers they just get bined just do local paper advertising anything else a waste of time and money and dont listern to other peoples prices do what you think ,thats what ive done am not loaded but am ok and getting there

Teehee!! Seems as if you can do more than just plumbing - looks very nice from here!!

[Edit]

Just read your post again. Wish I could read properly in the first place as you said it wasn't your garden and I replied ... oh never mind!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is always risky to step out on your own. All the private work you do at weekends and evenings will become your main source for a while at least. There is always more work to be picked up when you actively start looking for it. Your decision. It is not an easy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to is it a good time to go at it alone! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock