Discuss HW only works when CH is on, and other problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nervous123

We had a new CH system recently installed, by contractor, as part of general refurb. The Vaillant EcoTec 630 boiler was installed by a Gas Safe engineer (altho Tempest unvented cylinder was not) and the electrics were wired by a NICEIC electrician. Certs recd for both.

Ever since we moved in, we noticed that (a) HW only works when both HW and CH buttons on the Honeywell St9400c programmer are on; and (b) CH works only when HW button is on (HW button alone does nothing).

I've had another electrician come and check the wiring and he said it all seems fine so he reckons it's a plumbing issue.

Checked up in the loft and there are 2 valves (both in 'auto' position) - is that S plan? I've had my wife turn on the various buttons downstairs and as far as I can see there was no movement in either of the valves. (Pics attached - original electrician said the lower one marked 'A' is heating, the upper one 'B' is hot water')

Any explanation/advice gratefully appreciated.

NB. Comments on general quality of installation also welcome. Also, a mate told me cylinder has to be positioned over a load-bearing wall - is he right, and how much of a problem is it if that's not the case? I believe mine isn't.

Attachments

• P1040791.jpg
    P1040791.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 131
  • P1040796main.jpg
    P1040796main.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 123
  • P1040790.jpg
    P1040790.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 119
Last edited by a moderator:
never seen anything like this !very poor install !!!!!!
d2 is going to hep with two 90 elbows !
if i was you i would get him back to put it right .no even one clip > i think is wirering problem that you have!

SHOKING INSTALL !!!!

As SafeGasInstall says,very poor,think it would be pointless getting the unqualified installers back
Get a qualified plumber in to sort installation out correctly even if you have to cut your loses
your safety is also involved here apart from your comfort !!
:(:(

What exactly is wrong with it (I know very little about plumbing). Is it 'just' messy, or should I be concerned about safety?

How much should I expect to pay to have it sorted? Do i need an IPHE reg or will a Gas Sage reg be enough?

Thanks

i dont know if anything is correct to be honest !some one has to see it to be able to tell you how much it will cost you !

and the electrical work get that check too !

and yes send some picters from the boiler and flue and gas pipe !

PLEASE

Last edited:
As above, from what is visibly apparent in a couple of basic photos there are a number of safety concerns. Never mind just looking like a dogs dinner of an install.
What is worse there is plenty of space around to work with and would have probably taken same amount of time to do the install correctly.
This needs to looked at in detail by a qualified installer with an unvented ticket to give an opinion. Impossible to estimate looking at a few photos. I'm sure your photos do not show the half of it.

The cylinder must be placed on a base that will support its full weight. Not necessarily over a load bearing wall.

- the pipework is ****ed and looks bent in places
- the cylinder seems to be resting on a crappy piece of mdf
- you have hep joints, seemingly on speedfit pipe
- i cant quite see, but you seem to have 2 motorised valves on the same pipe (1 should be for heating!)
- if it is in the loft, then the pipes should be lagged as well!

I agree the installation is rubbish! The original plumber should come back and sort it out. At least ways why are you trying to solve this problem, without calling the installer in?

I would also like to see pictures of the boiler instal (which could be unsafe). Where is the heating motorised valve - is it that extra one in the loft (doesn't quite make sence if it is)

You cannot have 2 motorised valve on the same pipe (which is the hot supply I presume). There are ways to test these, but you need to know wether there is another one somewhere . . .

- the pipework is ****ed and looks bent in places
- the cylinder seems to be resting on a crappy piece of mdf
- you have hep joints, seemingly on speedfit pipe
- i cant quite see, but you seem to have 2 motorised valves on the same pipe (1 should be for heating!)
- if it is in the loft, then the pipes should be lagged as well!

I agree the installation is rubbish! The original plumber should come back and sort it out. At least ways why are you trying to solve this problem, without calling the installer in?

I would also like to see pictures of the boiler instal (which could be unsafe). Where is the heating motorised valve - is it that extra one in the loft (doesn't quite make sence if it is)

You cannot have 2 motorised valve on the same pipe (which is the hot supply I presume). There are ways to test these, but you need to know wether there is another one somewhere . . .
Although it is an absolute mess the way it is done. One valve is controlling the hot feed to the DHW and one on the CHW circuit. So that bit looks correct to a degree.

This is what happens when you go for the lowest bidder. I wouldn't ask this guy back for love nor money. If you can even get him to call you back. I suggest you get another installer. Ask to see his (or her) Unvented qualifications. It may have been less expensive to go with this guy originally but it will cost you twice as much to correct the work.

This is what happens when you go for the lowest bidder. I wouldn't ask this guy back for love nor money. If you can even get him to call you back. I suggest you get another installer. Ask to see his (or her) Unvented qualifications. It may have been less expensive to go with this guy originally but it will cost you twice as much to correct the work.

The 'irony' - sickening as it is - is that this guy was not cheap at all, he was a smooth-talking contractor who sweet-talked/bullied his way into the deal. Described his work as a 'boutique service' and from what I have heard it is anything but. I only got a contractor to save me the hassle but only realised he knew very little about the work he was doing, and employed **** East European plumbers who were unqualified, after it was too late to back out.

By the time all works were over I held a retention of about 5% which I need to cover other problems (my extension roof, other electrics, decorating etc). That's why I'm worried now how much this will cost me to sort out. He threatened and abused me to pay in full but I have not, of coruse, and we have now parted ways. I have no intention of bringing him back!

...If I told you I paid £7,500 for labour only to remove old boiler/water tank/some pipes and install new boiler/cylinder/some pipes - what would yopu say?! (based in NW London).

He also charged me £2500 for 'boiler, cylinder etc'. i have repeatedly asked for a breakdown which of course he has not provided. Online the boiler costs £1000 and the cylinder £700. Is it possible the pipes etc could cost another £800 or he has he topped up the price here too?

This needs to looked at in detail by a qualified installer with an unvented ticket to give an opinion.

Done a bit of research (not wanting to be bitten twice) - would a Gas Safe reg fellow be okay, or is it better if he is IPHE qualified? Thanks.

you have been done big time !

can you pls send photos of the boiler and flue and gas pipe work pls

and the discharge pipe from the Cylinder

Last edited:
only thing i can think off is that both motorised valves are wired to come on when c/h demand. Or the three port closest to the cylinder is wired for h/w and the second is manually open. oh and yeah,,very bad install. poor positioning of expansion vessel and prv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to HW only works when CH is on, and other problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock