Search the forum,

Discuss Help Required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RIXY

Hi Guys, I am new to the forum so a BIG hello to everyone on here!

I was wondering if someone could give some advice on a shower problem that I am having ? (I am not very DIY handy :()

I have a shower that is attached to the taps and the hot water is starting to spluter then cuts out. I have to turn the shower off then wait a few minutes before water comes out again. The hot water is fed from a Worcester Bosch cobi boiler.

I think it might be an airlock but don't know how to shift it, all my taps are mixer taps so can't do that thing with the hose from hot to cold....

Any help would be much appricated.

Thanks Rixy.

Hi Rixy, is ur system vented .? If so turn off the mains and run the hot and cold tap isolate the hot water then connect the hot and cold together (use the washing maching hot and cold.) connect 1 hose from the hot water to the cold water and turn back on ur cold water mains that should get rid of the airlock. Apart from that ??? I don't know mate hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply but not sure what you mean by vented ?

Either way, I'll give it a try.

Iam assumeing you mean combi boiler not cobi boiler, a combi boiler shouldnt air lock on the hw supply.
Is the water only stopping in the bathroom?, next time the water stops slip on your dressing gown and try the tap in the kitchen.

As Blackcatgas says if you have Combi system it should not usually air lock. The hot and cold are both off the main water supply. That however is not to say systems are always like that. Its possible that the cold in the bathroom could be off a tank.

But then you would probably have had showering problems for a while with the hot water being more powerful than the cold. If it is off a tank then the cold could be air locked.

Check tanks filling okay and the outlets are clear.

Then do a bit of gymnastics if you can't use a hose and blow up the cold if you can. Your puff should blow any air back into the tank. Don't get me wrong you can't always do this.

You can also do it by removing the tap top and blowing down the tap that way. But you have got to be quick and would not advise it if the water spilled cannot be contained in the bath.

Also look out for taps with loose jumpers, they fall back onto the seating and stop you blowing also screw down valves on the supply pipes from the tank can do the same.

A quick rough test for a domestic cold tap, is to put your finger over the end and try to stop the flow. If you can stop it reasonably easily, its probably off a tank if you can't and water sprays all over the place its probably off the main

However if you have a metal shower hose, they usually have a flexible inner lining that can collapse or perish giving similar symptoms to those you say.

However I assume you have probably tried the bath taps without the hose connected.

You also don't say whether the taps are a shower mixer or a rubber tap connector fitted over the tap nozzle. If its a mixer it could be a problem with the change over valve inside the tap.

Good fortune!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Is the shower/tap directional valve slider type?
If it is the problem could be sticking valve which needs cleaning
and lubricating

Thanks for all the replies lads, it's very much appreciated.

I am going to try what ''Hiretools'' has said and see if that works ?? If not then I'll try blowing down the taps and everything else that Bernie2 has recomended.

Just for info, There is no water tank and there is a lever between the taps to go from shower to bath and it is a metal shower hose.

There has never been much pressure when I run a bath and it takes around 25 minutes to run with just hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help Required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock