Search the forum,

Discuss Help for newbie, solder or compression....??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mmmadman

Hi all

Advice required please, I am fitting a new bathroom suite and need to modify the hot & cold pipework it will be under the floor which I will be installing under floor heating and tiles at a later date.
My question is do I solder my pipe connections or use compression fittings based on the fact I haven't done any soldering for years. Should I do lots of practise joints and go for it or just take the easy option of compression fittings.
There will be three equal Ts and one elbow under the floor. I'm just worried about a leak in the future and the thought of taking up the floor.

Many thanks..............:)

solder under floor. practise as much as you feel necessary for total confidence in your soldering.

steve

I think I'm with Steve, and would just add that if you're not completely happy with the results of any of the solder joints, cut it out now and re-do it before you put the floor back :)

A little dentists' mirror might help you check all around the joints.

solder and then make sure you pressure test for any leaks

If you have or can get hold of a hydraulic pressure pump you can test to about 10 bar and leave for 10 mins and that gives it a good check and a lot of piece of mind

Last thing you want is to have to take tiles and UFH heating up to to spend 10 seconds retightening a compression joint

No harm in spending a couple of hours at the weekend practisising some soldering on some scrap copper, keep hold of it and take it to yoyr scrap merchants after for a few pennies

Personally I would solder and would recommend you do the same nothing wrong with a bit of practicing try to imitate how the pipes will need to be soldered in place you will soon get the hang of it good luck:) regards turnpin

Solder ring if you haven't done any soldering for a while. Dip a bit of solder round the ends after the solder ring has run for peace of mind especially for under a floor, though generally this isn't needed.
End feed if you are competent enough and can get the old pipework nice and clean, painted pipework with soldered joints is a real nuisance, but both types of soldered joints are a pain if water is still present in the old pipework.
Never had a compression fitting blow off in years. Tighten first, use copper olives as they compress easier, but do not over tighten, then crack open the fitting and wind about 8 turns of PTFE around the joint, reassemble and retighten. I only use tape as a precaution in inaccessible areas such as under floors, purely as a precaution and for peace of mind.

Solder ring if you haven't done any soldering for a while. Dip a bit of solder round the ends after the solder ring has run for peace of mind especially for under a floor, though generally this isn't needed.

I have never heard of doing this but i suppose it is a precautionary measure and wont do any harm

Never had a compression fitting blow off in years. Tighten first, use copper olives as they compress easier, but do not over tighten, then crack open the fitting and wind about 8 turns of PTFE around the joint, reassemble and retighten. I only use tape as a precaution in inaccessible areas such as under floors, purely as a precaution and for peace of mind.

I follwo this method as technically speaking a correctly done compression joint wont need any PTFE but if its going to be hidden away for 10s of years it wont hurt

Speaking as a newbie to soldering myself, I would use solder ring fittings wherever I could. But, I would also use a compression fitting on the very first connection back into the existing pipes. This is because pipes that have previously been wet can be very hard to solder onto if you are not very experienced. I think it can be hard to get the heat right and tiny bits of moisture can boil to steam and the escaping gas can blow holes in your solder seal.

Good luck

-Neil

I have never heard of doing this but i suppose it is a precautionary measure and wont do any harm

Unless you're brand new to it, think "more's better!" and jam so much solder in that it starts to obstruct the pipe. Seen the results of this...

Nope, a little dab of solder round the fitting does no harm and can excess can be wiped off with a glove or cloth. It does no harm to make sure that the fitting will not leak especially in inaccessible areas. I only do this very rarely but purely as an extra precaution

It does look like you are going to go with the soldering. My idea is that you might get the integrated soldering fittings, and then, to really ensure against leaks, also end-feed to the max. Since the joints are under the floor, there should be no problem with cosmetic appearance.

Best of luck.

try yo test new soldered fittings with hot water if possible as flux can hold up to 4bar pressure when cold , found this out a couple of times after soldering , fittings been under pressure all day , to come back in morning to find leak on pipe , due to pressure build up over night ! God i hate plumbing ! when its good its great when its bad its rubbish !

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help for newbie, solder or compression....??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock