Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Gas fire problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Downtown

I went to reconnect a gas fire. The flue pulls fine when the fire isn't lit but when the fire is lit it spills back into the room. I'm guessing the canopy is too smal or it is too high? Has anyone else
ever come across this?

Did you check to see if the flue restrictor was left fitted?

You have up to 20 mins, if memory serves me right, for the flue to warm up too! Also check burner pressure as some/most gas fires do not have governers so rely on the supply being correct from the meter :)

this is something we all come across many times, first thing to check is the flue to see if it is clear, the spillage test is an indication that it is clear and exiting outside as a 5m3 pellet draws up it, however when you turn the appliance on, you have 10m3 of air for every 1m3 of gas so the volume of "stuff" going up the flue is more than double and a partially blocked flue will kick the POC's back down, which is why i urge everyone to ensure they know how to do a spillage test properly and ensure they do it every time,
once you have confirmed the flue is clear you can then look at the bottm end of the install, type of flue suitable for the fire (bit late now but its in now) check catchment and flue opening size,

Hmmmm, there is a fan in the flue connected to a solenoid. This works fine. So it could just be that the flue is blocked? Flue sizes must be fine if it was connected and safe at one point.

my eye's light up with shock and amazement! FAN in FLUE? Gas fire spilling!!! What kind of flue are we talking here?

And a fan? Air pressure switch,solonoid? In a brick built chimney? Never heard of it! Hoonestly! That doesn't sound right!!

Yeah, there is a fan and an air pressure switch that opens the solonoid to let gas through to the fire when the flue is proving to be drawing.

Think you need to check mi before going any further. Never come across an installation like that. I always assumed fan flue was built in to fire and only seen them going through the wall. But then I don't do that many fires

i have heard of this set up but cant remember what its called or ever seen one

I'm pretty sure it's fine. It's just like a safety device really for a gas cut off. But do you think that the spillage problem would be from a blocked flue?

Well I never! 'm interested in knowing the manufacturer and model! If you're attached to a brick chimneyWHY would you need all that gubbins and who would fit it?

Well I never! 'm interested in knowing the manufacturer and model! If you're attached to a brick chimneyWHY would you need all that gubbins and who would fit it?
areas prone to downdraft i imagine,seems complex compared to a whirling dervish

Hmmmm, there is a fan in the flue connected to a solenoid. This works fine. So it could just be that the flue is blocked? Flue sizes must be fine if it was connected and safe at one point.

NO NO NO NO
schoolboy error, IF you must assume something assume the worst until YOU have confirmed it is OK, luck, door open while fire was on, draughty windows, no carpet, cant be bothered typing any more scenarios which could have unwittingly assisted the POC's to leave the flue, now you mention a fan that you didnt mention in the original post, gies a chance and give us all the info first time round

It's a gazco fire, can't help you with the model i'm afraid as it doesn't say on the data badge and gazco couldn't identify it over the phone lol. One of the pilots weren't touching the thermocouple very well and the
fire was going out and they couldn't tell me how to adjust the pilot pressure fs. Anyway it's a free standing fire in the middle of a restaurant. a big double fire and the chimney isn't directly connected to it. It's a flue and then a canopy just above it. I assume this is just a safety device to make sure the there would be no spillage into the restaurant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not working properly wahtever it is! spilling fumes is ID and not your problem other than to make safe IMO ... If they insist you repair it then you have to find the info needed to do so or step back and say I do not know how too! IMO

I know the type of installs you now mention but hav no experience of working with them and would rather not have :)

It's a gazco fire, can't help you with the model i'm afraid as it doesn't say on the data badge and gazco couldn't identify it over the phone lol. One of the pilots weren't touching the thermocouple very well and the
fire was going out and they couldn't tell me how to adjust the pilot pressure fs. Anyway it's a free standing fire in the middle of a restaurant. a big double fire and the chimney isn't directly connected to it. It's a flue and then a canopy just above it. I assume this is just a safety device to make sure the there would be no spillage into the restaurant.

now it might be commercial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gies a chance big guy

Yeah, of course i id'd it and disconnected it. The whole point of me going to it was to reconnect it and leave it working for them. i just posted this thread for abit of advice as it was drawing when it was cold but not when the fire was on and i've never encountered this problem before.

Had it lots with conventional fires conected to brick chimneys ... What kind of ventilation is recomended? You've got o have enough comming in to go out I'd imagine :)

Never checked tbh, i lit it up and it wasn't pulling so i id'd it and said i'd be back tomorrow to check it as i had a boiler breakdown to attend to. I'd guess there is plenty as the room it is situated in is huge.

the fan could be one called Exhausto, as you say fan must run before fire can be lit, your restaurant is'nt in manchester is it.

Going back to the spillage, perhaps there isn't much flue pull, which isn't good news but although the fan is running maybe its not running as it should. Just a thought that maybe a couple of things to consider. I'd I.D and get out. Can't win them all

Marleyco
why ID and then go, he's been asked to fix it, all it needs is a systematic approach as with boilers, start basics then expand, there is'nt a lot with these fans, aps wiring and fan and motor, just need to check them.

anyone else remember the little add on fans they used to sell to add onto conventional flued boilers think they were mysons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas fire problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock