Search the forum,

Discuss G3 Discharge - to soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adh

Hi All,

As part of a new build, we're having a Mechanical Ventilation & Heat Recovery System. This makes it important to ensure an airtight seal on the building, as far as possible. We have the requirement for a discharge from the unvented DHW cylinder in the loft. This made me think about the problem with this discharge being open to atmosphere and the MVHR system we have installed. After some research I came across a product from Hepworth which seems to allow discharge from unvented cylinders into the soil stack. The product is their HEPVo Hygienic Self Sealing Waste Valve. A link to the certification is here:
http://www.redbooklive.com/pdf/042-97.pdf

I've also checked with Hepworth direct and they say it's suitable for discharge from unvented cylinders but can't be used for boiler discharge.

This seems ideal for our scenario but wonder if anyone has any reservations or sees any problems.

from when i done my unvented i seem to remember these are ok as long as they are fitted vertically i can av a look at the documentation later just to clarify

Yes from the schematic I was sent by Hepworth they must be vertical. I've also had a look at the G3 discharge regulations and they seem to allow discharge into the soil stack provided the pipework is either in copper or specified to withstand temperatures which would be expected from a discharge of this type. I assume this means the pipework would have to withstand 100 degree temperatures.

our system incorporates a heat pump rather than traditional boiler. However my one concern is that we are off mains drainage which means we have a self contained treatment plant. I'm not sure whether discharge into this type of plant is allowed. I understand it can interfere with the normal treatment process due to chemicals that may discharge. This would affect the central heating side (UFH) as this has an inhibitor.

Your discharge pipe from cylinder is from your domestic water not from heating side

Your discharge pipe from cylinder is from your domestic water not from heating side

Yes but we have two other expansion vessels which also need discharge points. One for the brine circuit on the heat pump and one for the underfloor heating. The UFH circuit will have inhibitor added and would therefore discharge this during a fault. I don't think this is allowed when you have a treatment plant.

The 2 on the heating circuit will not have a tundish so will not be vented to atmospehere

The 2 on the heating circuit will not have a tundish so will not be vented to atmospehere

The heat pump supplier, Danfoss, have asked for a tundish to discharge from their expansion vessel on the ground loop. They said this must discharge to atmosphere.

discharge pipe work does not have to go to the treatment plant it can also discharge into a soakaway, its own soakway built for it etc etc

Hi. I read with interest. But have been under the impression that tundish fitted, were in order to identify a discharge from either pressure relief and or temperature relief, at a point close to the appliance, also providing frost protection of appliance, should the discharge pipe freeze downstream of the tundish. Coupled to the fact that the potential of super heated steam discharging into a plastic soil system is far from good, waste water could also be a issue if the warning element of the installation is discharge into a blind situation. On the positive side hot water discharging into the soil and waste system would have no effect on bacteria. I feel it doubtful if the discharge from sealed system would be in sufficient quantity to cause problem with the process. My own experiance suggests, although most problem can be engineerd out as we develop. With out planned maintenance they fail and bite you in the bum. After all a few metres of pipe and ingress through 500 mm SQ. less the frictional resistance is hardly a major issue. Good Luck with the project it sound interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to G3 Discharge - to soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock