Discuss flueing question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogwai

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys, i'm replacing a problematic range powermax boiler with a 37cdi on monday and i have a flueing question for you.
the outside wall to which the 37cdi is goin to be fitted is an alley between 2 houses which is 1100mm wide,now the other house on the alley has a boiler and the flue is probably the same place as to where i would like to put my flue,now i know you can't put 2 flues directly facing each other within 1200mm so my question is can i raise or lower my flue outlet so that they aren't directly facing one another?? if so how much do i have to raise or lower the flue? if you see what i mean. Other option is takin the flue through the roof which i don't really want to do if possible.

cheers guys.

Your registered gas installer will know exactely were he can put the flue and should be advising you accordingly.Hope your not planning on fitting it yourself,asking such a basic question!

moogwai are you actually registered as i find it a bit alarming that you are asking this question..flueing and gas tightness are prob the 2 most important aspects of any fitting
as at 1100mm the alley as you call it has a mid point of 550mm and will allmost certainly be discharging poc accross the boundary and as a min 2m from any opening in a building directly opposite is required
is this alley covered????
open at both ends???
as a qualified installer you should not be asking this question
sorry but i am beginning to form a view that too many gas safe related questions are getting replied to leading to a lot of diy gas work
sorry if i have offended you moogwai but this is really not a question a registered gas engineer should be asking

right...i'll be honest with you all,i am gsr but only by 2 weeks or so and the guy i was working with who signed off my igq folder wasn't the greatest fitter i have come across and spending 1.5 weeks with my head buried in b.s books whilst doin my acs, i'm not goin to be able to take everything in straight away and i'm aware of how important it is of how to site the flue correctly that's why i asked the question as i want/need to get everything installed safely and correctly. I'm sure you guys have called upon other fitters advice at some point.
the alley i'm speaking of is open both ends and is not covered(just a normal side walkway down the side of a house)and the flue would be coming out of the wall at least 5m up and not opposite any openings of any kind or causing a nuisance/or damage to the house opposite.
The flue that is there now is facing the nextdoors flue but is around 1m lower....and that is my question i need a little advice with,can i put the flue of the boiler in the same sort of position? i'm just finding it a bit of a grey area for myself.
And i'm not entirley sure that walkway is 1100mm or bigger,i just took a quick measurement and saw it was at least that...it may be 1200 or more.

What you have to think of is if the boiler you put in going to swollow up the opposite boilers fume and cause it to not work fully. Or even worse vice-versa as you'd of ****ed off a customers neighbour. Ally ways can lack air-flow and wind to blow the products of combustion away.

Id be looking at the measurements again in closer detail and then looking in the manufacturers instructions or a training manual.

Other option would be to run a vertical flue if its a loft space above.

Thanks kip,i think i may aswell just take the flue through the loft and roof just to be on the safe side would rather get it done and not have to go back.
looking at the manufaturers instructions it states the flues facing each other must not be less than 1200mm apart...which i think is standard for any fan assisted room sealed appliance. But i suppose i could follow these rules and i could still get the problem of sucking in the boiler facing's poc's and as i don't now how the alley way could affect the installation, it's better to be safe than sorry as they say.

well done for being open and honest about yr experience. Best advice, if you're worried about aspects of flueing an appliance, don't do it, walk away and lose the occasional job. At least you wont have to lie awake wondering if everythings ok.

If a situation worries you, like this one then I wouldnt install flues in this situ as it doesnt sound safe fm what you've said, put in a vertical flue in a safe manner with no worries later. You cann't be faulted for being safe, if the customer complains let another installer put their name on the line.

If you qualified 2 weeks back are u going to be happy to take the gas safe inspector back to this job in 3 months time, when he/she reviews your work list?

i share the point of view of oldplumber. do wish to add though moogwai good to see you have seen bad workmanship and recognize it through your ( ex ? ) gsr trainer. hope you havnt picked up too many bad habits. well done on book reading - just be carefull and follow all the above advice.

Thats the one, end of the day its your peice of mind at risk, your license which i guess has taken you 3 years to get, so it is always to be safe than sorry and if someone has to spend a little extra money to make you feel good about the job then so be it.

thanks for the encouragement and guidance lads, the thing is i don't mind making myself look like a idiot by asking what you experienced guys would consider a "basic question", i know i'm gsr but i also know i'll have situations where i'm not sure about stuff and that's when i'll ask a question.
and you're bloody right....having spent over £4500 on courses,books and equipment to get myself to this stage there's no way i want to put that in jeopardy......and now i have to find a roof ladder for tuesday!!! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the encouragement and guidance lads, the thing is i don't mind making myself look like a idiot by asking what you experienced guys would consider a "basic question", i know i'm gsr but i also know i'll have situations where i'm not sure about stuff and that's when i'll ask a question.
and you're bloody right....having spent over £4500 on courses,books and equipment to get myself to this stage there's no way i want to put that in jeopardy......and now i have to find a roof ladder for tuesday!!! lol

if you work to exactly what the mi#s say you cant be held responsible ive always found the wording" directly opposite" to be a great get out i doubt if you could get it directly opposite if you tried

if you work to exactly what the mi#s say you cant be held responsible ive always found the wording" directly opposite" to be a great get out i doubt if you could get it directly opposite if you tried
knowing my luck if i did do it the flues would probably be able to kiss!!!
anyways....through the roof it went!!! didn't realise how much it would cost me though!!!:eek:

welcome to the learning curve moog, give it twenty years and it will be ever so slightly better !!

thanks migo.....hopefully i'll learn alot quicker with the guys that are on here!!! don't fancy underpricing my job by £200 again!!! dam these house that are just too closer together!!!!

i would actually be reporting the other install as it seems to breach the rules

i know newbie....thing is if i reported this one then i'd have to report about 75% of the housing estate!! from what i gather it's a fairly newish housing estate (probably about 15/20 years old) and they are all identical!!! suppose it could lead to more work!!!:D

talk about giving yourself a bad name in a town.

If you did that every day you will soon make yourself very unpopular, which isnt good business for a self employed man.

rules regarding flue pre condensing were not the same it the plume that causes the problems passing on to others property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to flueing question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock