Search the forum,

Discuss Daytime TV - Dirty Tricks of the Tradesmen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomplumb83

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Anyone get to watch this?!
Cant remember the plumbers name (Frisby?) who 'starred' in the program but it never showed us in a good light!

Roger Bisby. Writes for the free trade mag you get in city plumbing.

Personally I think he should be ashamed of himself.

This is a pet hate of mine,

Can anyone remember a program that shows plumbers in a good light?

That young plumbers competition but then it was not on at peak time viewing.

It's always builders and plumbers and never electricians, plasterers, painters, appliance repairers, estate agents, solicitors - just life I suppose.

The people I worked for at the weekend must have watched that show, as they all watched me like hawks!!!

Quite un-nerving having someone watch over your shoulder the whole day.

is it the one where he shows you the dirty tricks and gos into somebodys house and pretends to be a cowboy.

I like these programs, just don't agree with what they say.

One program said that any reputable builder/ plumber should have good relationship with merchants so shouldn't need a deposit, really, you are telling the world that they shouldn't give a deposit?
I always ask for a deposit as i aint paying out for somebody elses materials.

Yeah, thats the programme.

I found it quite funny when he was pulling the scams, he's not a very good cowboy.

In one episode he's called out to an electrical issue. He fits an adatpable box full of tea bags. What electrician would ever do that??? Cowboy or otherwise. Its just weird!

If any more these shows come along they might as well have their own channel. I believe there are cookery channels, history channels, why not a rogue tradesmen channel?

I'm relatively sure that even those viewers with the mental agility of a boiled banana will have some cognisance that these kinds of programs are not documentaries and are not tasked with fairness or perspective but rather appealing to sensationalism and shock-value. It's tabloid TV. But there can be no doubt some of it seeps in at an emotional level and the general balance gets tipped towards mistrust and caution.

We're all vulnerable to this type of journalism - just like we're vulnerable to crude and blunt advertising. You watch an ad and think it's annoying and ineffective. But two weeks later when faced with two all-but-identical products to chose from, without thinking, you go for the one you've heard of. And not just because you've heard of it either. Tell people something repeatedly and whether they want to or not they will start to believe it.

God help those among us who look vaguely rogue-like.

Last edited:
Well I certainly don't look like a rogue.....oh wait a minute..... yeah I do when I slit my eyes and quickly look left to right.

I was one of them :D
now that whould make good viewing!.
teach your apprentice the tricks of the trade (scams) on camera.
think there was a sit com like that in the 80's with ronnie barker - a removal man?.
also another more current - white van man.

could be a good thing in the long term, we will get accredation from the cowboys and be able to double our rates in the process at the cost of the customer watching and believing such tat.

Take it you are a 'snot' free solderer then Simon :party3:

Lmao. I had really bad soldering on the tv

It wasn't really worth doin. But it was a good bit of fun

Something to tell the gran kids

If any more these shows come along they might as well have their own channel. I believe there are cookery channels, history channels, why not a rogue tradesmen channel?

I'm relatively sure that even those viewers with the mental agility of a boiled banana will have some cognisance that these kinds of programs are not documentaries and are not tasked with fairness or perspective but rather appealing to sensationalism and shock-value. It's tabloid TV. But there can be no doubt some of it seeps in at an emotional level and the general balance gets tipped towards mistrust and caution.

We're all vulnerable to this type of journalism - just like we're vulnerable to crude and blunt advertising. You watch an ad and think it's annoying and ineffective. But two weeks later when faced with two all-but-identical products to chose from, without thinking, you go for the one you've heard of. And not just because you've heard of it either. Tell people something repeatedly and whether they want to or not they will start to believe it.

God help those among us who look vaguely rogue-like.

Doh !!!! ! !

Was thinking of this thread earlier, and remembered the recent show on rogue traders where somebody was doing a power flush and put an empty bottle of cleaner in the system. Yes thats right, opened an empty bottle and pretended to put cleaner in.

And made me think, I'm glad that there are people out there who are keeping an eye on these guys who are stealing our work and not doing it properly. gives me more work. Although it also means being watched a lot more and not being trusted as much.

So it is a 50/50 do we want these people caught out or do we want them stealing our work. just wish they didnt have to have it on TV.

However I love the way they over exagerate things, like when the bloke has a wee in the garden, we have all done it, sometimes its the only place to go as you are bursting and when you need to go, you need to go.
"this bloke is utterly outrageous and discusting, he has left his mark all over the house and now the whole street will have to disinfected"." welcome back, we are with mr wee who has weed all over the garden" "stay tuned to see where else he will wee". all he did is have a quick wee, not the worst crime in the world.

Thing is with Rogue Traders, they have that wall of shame in the studio with pictures of the cowboys on them but would you honestly recognise them a few months down the road?

I don't think most people would.

Thing is with Rogue Traders, they have that wall of shame in the studio with pictures of the cowboys on them but would you honestly recognise them a few months down the road?

I don't think most people would.

I wouldn't recognise them even if it was my brother, some of those photos are pants

Those scam website that claim to rate people and use only rated tradesmen should be on the TV instead of some poor guys trying to make a living.

I like the way when Mat allrwight confronts them, he has to have a bodygaurd, you can always see him in shot in case the cowboy sets about him.

Tomplumb, are you the original tomplum off Screwfix?

They should expose Total Trade Services, last week I though they were when they said they like to look after the honest tradesmen.

Those scam website that claim to rate people and use only rated tradesmen should be on the TV instead of some poor guys trying to make a living.

one of them tried charging ÂŁ3000 to be part of it and they are one of the biggests ones, no thank you, don't even pay that much for yellow pages and yell.com

wish they would make one for training centres

or catche BG out, would be a massive program for that. Although I think it would be hard to pinpoint exactly which agents are good and which are bad.

Had a good look at these on Iplayer as my bro said that they had a power flush engineer on there that pretended to put chemicals in and I wanted to see it,

I noticed that on this program, nearly every week they are showing scams of a plumber, think we should all contact them on the grounds that this is bias to plumbers and doesn't give a fair view of all trades.

No Phil im not the same bloke - Im just another plumber called Tom!

I think they should start a program on all the customers that dont pay their bills. Plenty of them about involving all trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Daytime TV - Dirty Tricks of the Tradesmen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have a question that I’m hoping those of you who are experienced central heating engineers may be abler to throw some light on. But first I need to tell you about my system, and the problem I’ve been having. Just over 7years ago I had a new CH system installed in my small semi. I say new – in...
Replies
Views
Had a new Kitchen fitted just before Xmas with integrated Washing Machine and Dishwasher (never again!) Appliances are located around 3.5m away from the sink, in a corner, sink one side, appliances on the other. All hose lengths within manufacturers recommendations btw. Washing Machine drum...
Replies
Views
Hi I have an oil worcester bosch greenstar heatslave ii combi boiler. It's about 5 years old. The problem I have is when the thermostat calls for the central heating to come on. Most of the time the boiler light will come on, the boiler might fire up for a couple of seconds then the light will...
Replies
Views
I moved into a 14 year old house a few months back and have a problem with the boiler (Ideal HE12). It was always a bit noisy (fan) but it 'thumps' when lighting.. I was convinced it was 'explosive ignition' as it sounded like it was lighting with a thump, blowing out and then repeating but it...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock