Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal HE12 Boiler Thumping in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I moved into a 14 year old house a few months back and have a problem with the boiler (Ideal HE12).

It was always a bit noisy (fan) but it 'thumps' when lighting.. I was convinced it was 'explosive ignition' as it sounded like it was lighting with a thump, blowing out and then repeating but it was intermittent and unpredictable so giving facts about the problem was hard..

It started happening more often, so I eventually got a boiler engineer in who came specifically to change the Electrodes, but when he heard the boiler running thought that the fan could be the cause as it was giving the wrong mixture, so he went off to order the parts.

After he left, I spent more time watching the boiler and noticed that it seemed to happen when teh boiler was starting up.. But also when it was shutting down too.

So he ordered parts and came back to fix it, and initially all was good.. The fan was certainly quieter and for a few hours there was no thump.... But a few hours later the problem returned and is pretty much the same.

I have now spent a long time watching the boiler and I am no longer convinced that its got anything to do with the 'ignition'.. I am thinking that its air.

Last night I heard the boiler gurgling, so I waited.. an a minuted later it started to thump.. It did this for about 30 seconds and then the boiler stopped (no error code).. And then after a bit more gurgling, all was quiet.

I am obviously going to get the engineer back.. But since its hard to show him the fault, I need to gather as much info/evidence as I can.. So I just wanted to post here incase anyone had any ideas of what could be causing this, and what I could look out for to either tell the engineer whats happening? Or even force the issue to happen whilst he is here?

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I could look out for?

Jon

Reply to Ideal HE12 Boiler Thumping in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock