Discuss Copper/compression joints/electric cable embedded into a concrete floor issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Steve

Wheeto is correct . The connections have to be accessible. The regs say:

“Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance, except for the following:
(1) a joint designed to be buried in the ground
(2) a compound filled or encapsulated joint
(3) a joint made by welding, soldering brazing or compression tool"
There are a couple of other points which are not applicable to your situation

The cable should be at least 50mm below floor level. You should have a 30mA RCD protecting the circuit. The cable should be well away from the central heating pipes. Ideally it should be re-run in conduit. With regard to the central heating pipes its best to run these in a channel with 19mmm ply covers. You can then use whatever jointing system you like. I would not bury any joint compression or otherwise in concrete. If it leaks for any reason you have problems. It looks as though the hole goes down to dirt so make sure you maintain the damp proof course with Synthaprufe or similar rubber emulsion

The wiring repair you show, if a chocolate block covered in insulation tape it should be reported a potential hazard to your local council under the H&Setc.A. Get a NICEIC or ECA registered electrician and a plumber to sort the mess out and claim for the cost on the insurance of people who did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a rubbish repair.
You can crimp and block the wire; personaly I would'nt. I would replace and or re-route the cable.
Compression fittings must never be buried. It would be great if you could get a bit of screed cover over the pipe with some corrosion protection. I think in the ideal world you should have 50mm depth of screed cover.

Hi Chaps

Thanks for your responses :)

The ring main is now crimped inside a IP44 sealed black box in the floor. I think i need to excavate some more and put it deeper as suggested but i believe this is the best possible fix short of digging the entire room up which isnt practical at this stage. I noted the cables lead into the wall and are at some points bloody close to the hot pipes so i need to put something between the pipes and cable to insulate them from the heat as the outer sheath was nearly soft to the touch last night!!. Its cardboard at present as a stop gap - whats a more permanent solution that can resist the hot pipes and potentially be submerged on concrete? Some kind of rubber ? or pipe lagging ?

The compression joints... i had the plumber out and i stated i would prefer solder joints on everything under concrete but then he mentioned about the pipes had water in therefore can't be soldered. Not having tried to solder a joint that has water in what do you reckon? I can drain the system down but there will obviously be water sitting in the pipe since they are horizontal in the floor...

I sent the chaps off last night and told them to leave me a bag of cement... so i can tackle this at my leisure. I dont trust anyone but myself to sort this TBH :)

Cheers

Steve

as you say the pipes can be drained down has the plumber not got a wet and dry vacuum with which to empty the pipes?

To be honest mate my instincts were telling me that i was listening to a very good blagger so i listened let him say his piece and left it at that. As i say i only trust myself to re-work the fix to a level where i am completely happy with it. 2 years down the line when i am sat in my lounge with new carpet etc - i want to be relaxed about the fix and not it constantly worrying that it could bite me in the backside at any moment!

Short of a wet/dry vac - maybe i can attach some hose to the T-section in the floor and use some kind of manual bilge pump? That should be enough to allow the joints to be soldered?

yes or one of those drill pumps or anything really that sucks.

Sounds like a plan ! Next question : Copper pipe insulation in cement :

Is there something readily available from screwfix etc that i can wrap my pipes in before pouring cement on them? The original pipes have some sort of fabric sheath so happy they are protected - i hear denso roll is very good but difficult to obtain?

nice one :)

Thats convenient actually as tool station is opposite screwfix on my local trading estate.

I wouldnt be paying for that out of my own pocket you should knock it off of their bill ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Copper/compression joints/electric cable embedded into a concrete floor issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
C
Hi, I'm English and live in the Czech Republic and I'm having difficulty with my heating system. Unfortunately, I cant find any heating engineer...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock