Search the forum,

Discuss combi HW flow rates should restrictors be used to increase temps. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cascas

30kw combi is rated at around 12lpm of hot water. However this is honly for a 30deg rise. So if incoming is 10deg, outgoing is only slightly warm at 40deg.

If flow is reduced then water gets hot, the boiler then modulates to the temp selected (max 65deg happrox). Does anyone here use flow restrictors when fitting combi boilers. I am thinking that limiting the flow rate of say, bathroom basin, kitchen sink etc may be useful. - or just dont turn the tap as much?

Many boiler manufacturers recommend turning the tap down on the basin/bath etc to raise the temperature, some taps with brass internals will start to shut themselves off when the tap is turned down. Checking the gas rate would be the 1st thing to do, to ensure the gas supply is adequate.
Don't fit anything to a boiler unless it is supplied/approved by the manufacturer. Any required restrictor should already be fitted. Check the MIs.
If the installation is correct. Another way of controlling the flowrate is to fit a valve to the hot water outlet pipework below the boiler. I have done this in the past using a gate valve (which is quieter than a ball valve in operation) you can set the flowrate with this, and it enables you to turn any tap on fully with higher hot water temperature maintained. (use a flow rate measuring jug)

You can get a device called a combimate. Never tried one but it is for this very problem

the simple answer is the customer has the choice of adjuisting the flow rate at the tap to suit. flow restrictors can be problematic and lead to increased call backs. Ensuring the customer understands that turning down the taps flow will help increase temp should in most cases be adequate.

I've got flow restrictors on every outlet on my house. 10 l/min on the bath and shower and 8 l/min on everything else. This is more to ensure that no one outlet robs the entire flow and means that I can stand under the shower whilst SWMBO turns the hot tap on in the kitchen.

40 degrees is plenty hot enough no?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I've got flow restrictors on every outlet on my house. 10 l/min on the bath and shower and 8 l/min on everything else. This is more to ensure that no one outlet robs the entire flow and means that I can stand under the shower whilst SWMBO turns the hot tap on in the kitchen.
like it mike
proper job. :)
have you used iso's ?

Last edited:
I'm using ball o fix valves with built in flow restrictions. I can't remember the make but they are available from BES.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i think i know the ones you mean somebody had a link about them a while ago. are they the ones with different restrictors for different flow requirements that you can swap?

They're the ones. The flow restrictions are the same as the ones that you get with a lot of combos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

30kw combi is rated at around 12lpm of hot water. However this is honly for a 30deg rise. So if incoming is 10deg, outgoing is only slightly warm at 40deg.
I wouldn't call 40C "slightly warm". It's about the correct temperature for a shower.
These are the recommended maximum safe temperatures:

Shower 41°C; Washbasin 41°C; Bath 44°C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to combi HW flow rates should restrictors be used to increase temps. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I've had a WB 8000 35kw boiler installed today and was searching through some websites which talked about range rating your boiler and/or turning down the flow temperature to save on cost. I spoke to the engineer that installed it and he advised against rage rating saying that having 17...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater systems in the house. This boiler was replaced by a combi boiler as it only heats the lounge and master bed and provides hot water to en-suite bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just checking I'm not talking rot. Today I visited a house with a Baxi 228 combi boiler. The technical spec for the DHW output is shown in the image. Boiler was installed 27 months ago. Baxi is claiming 13.3 litres @ DT 30. I set the boiler DHW temperature to a high setting. I was...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains pressure. I bought it hoping I could have two showers across floors running with hot water even if it’s a short while, while avoiding an unvented...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock