Search the forum,

Discuss Chasing pipes for shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smudger

I'm refitting a bathroom and the client wants the shower on the opposite wall. I want to hide the pipes behind the tiling, but the plaster/render is not thick enough to take pipe and sleeving (overflow pipe) and I'm worried that if I chase into brickwork it will either weaken wall or remove plaster on other side. My other option is to build false wall the width of the bath and cover pipes in this way. What do other more experienced guys do?
Thanks in anticipation.:confused:

I prefer the false wall approach. Chasing into brick shouldn't weaken it (as long as you're not stoopid!!) but there will always be a risk to the plaster the other side.

Thanks mate, I think that's the way to go. It's hard enough to make money without having to redecorate the bedroom for free!!

In my opinion it's not your fault if you chase and the plaster falls off. But it would be your fault if you didn't warn the customer first. If you warn and it happens then you can expect them to pay for it.

Hope whatever you decide it's a good fun job.

Im assuming your talking about an internal 4" block wall? Your right if you chase it out for a piar of 22's it doesnt leave you much to get a fixing for any pipe clips.

I use CLS timber and run it the narrow side, thats plenty deep enough.

4" block? I should be so luckY! Single skin brick, thats why I'm scarred to chase it. Definitely agree with you Scottley.

Ive just purchased a pipe chaser, cuts 2 channels up to 30mm deep and 50mm wide, i then chase out the middle with my sds chisel on my makita on rotary stop.

Ive just purchased a pipe chaser, cuts 2 channels up to 30mm deep and 50mm wide, i then chase out the middle with my sds chisel on my makita on rotary stop.

A 4 1/2" angle grinder will do the same job.
Keep the door closed, open the windows, put on a dust mask (a good one) and goggles and away you go.
You should be able to find your way to the door in around 5 minutes:D

Or just use a hammer and bolster or a scutch hammer. You will only need to take 10mm at most from the brick and it can be done by hand in about 10 minutes.

I'm refitting a bathroom and the client wants the shower on the opposite wall. I want to hide the pipes behind the tiling, but the plaster/render is not thick enough to take pipe and sleeving (overflow pipe) and I'm worried that if I chase into brickwork it will either weaken wall or remove plaster on other side. My other option is to build false wall the width of the bath and cover pipes in this way. What do other more experienced guys do?
Thanks in anticipation.:confused:

Your idea seems good, however, i think it might be best to have it done the way the client seems appropriate, this way you can avoid any problems or complaints from them. There is also a bit of a risk with removing the plaster.

Who are all these "clients"? It is like an episode of an american soap.

Personally i just do work for customers or people i can't stand but want to pay me.

To fully appreciate the risks here a full assessment should be done and a method statement prepared and followed to the letter.

Remember
"Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

you cant acurately gauge how deep you are going with an angle grinder,The angle grinder is more likely to snatch and chop your face off. you can get a straighter line with the pipe chaser, I can connect my henry up to the pipe chaser and cut down the dust by 70%.

you cant acurately gauge how deep you are going with an angle grinder,The angle grinder is more likely to snatch and chop your face off. you can get a straighter line with the pipe chaser, I can connect my henry up to the pipe chaser and cut down the dust by 70%.

Lol bit over the top I use an angle grinder all the time never had a problem
It seems to me there is a lot of so called plumbers who don't know very much about simple things plumbings not about Reading books it's about doing it and getting trained properly and I don't think this is happening much by the sound of some of the problems I see on this forum
Isit just me who thinks this????????

I have a wall chaser. Got it from Aldi supermarket. Works well but you need the vacuum atached to it or you cant see anything in seconds! Well worth the £50

I use an angle grinder all the time too, but to put a chase up a wall for a pipe, a wall chaser is soo much better.

Lol bit over the top I use an angle grinder all the time never had a problem

Some people like feeling like they smoked 40 a day, and will carry on using angle grinders for chasing pipes, I've used mine plenty and tried rigging up all sorts to contain the mess, its ok on a site - open all up and decent mask, but if your in a furnished house - no amount of tape will seal the door and the place looks like a bomb site in moments and your stuck in the dust for a good 30 mins.

I'm looking for a wall chaser - I've learnt my lessons the old fashioned hard way!

Thanks for all the advice. After fuller inspection the wall to be chased is 4" block and as I only have to run 15mm & sleeving I shall use sds with chasing tool (don't fancy the dust from grinder as can't properly seal door).

Gray0689 I assume your comment refers to my original query. As a person who has been forced to have a career change later in life I have done everything I can to get "properly" trained. Perhaps if you more experienced plumbers were prepared to take people like me on then I could complete my training on the job. As it is I do an exceptional job for all of my customers & follow all relevant legislation and guidelines. However, there will always be times when my lack of experience means that I am unsure of the best way to tackle a problem. It is for this reason that I have joined this site. There are often different solutions to a problem and this site allows me to see how other more experienced people tackle the same problem. My apologies if my "problem" was not complicated enough for you. Perhaps you are of the opinion that unless I served an apprenticeship as a 17 yr old that I have no right to try to become a plumber at all.

I think its just you Gray. Everyone has to learn somewhere and some how. The forum is for help and advice for all no matter how trivial it may seem or simple to the more experienced plumbers on here. If its too simple then dont give the advice just move on to a more complex issue that may suit you experience better. Thats what i do.

I use angle grinder yes its messy i open windows and leave my henry on aswell

Thanks for all the advice. After fuller inspection the wall to be chased is 4" block and as I only have to run 15mm & sleeving I shall use sds with chasing tool (don't fancy the dust from grinder as can't properly seal door).

Gray0689 I assume your comment refers to my original query. As a person who has been forced to have a career change later in life I have done everything I can to get "properly" trained. Perhaps if you more experienced plumbers were prepared to take people like me on then I could complete my training on the job. As it is I do an exceptional job for all of my customers & follow all relevant legislation and guidelines. However, there will always be times when my lack of experience means that I am unsure of the best way to tackle a problem. It is for this reason that I have joined this site. There are often different solutions to a problem and this site allows me to see how other more experienced people tackle the same problem. My apologies if my "problem" was not complicated enough for you. Perhaps you are of the opinion that unless I served an apprenticeship as a 17 yr old that I have no right to try to become a plumber at all.

Not at all I belive you can learn at any age but it does take time to learn

Ps pipes chased in walls carying water should be lagged not sleeved

Not at all I belive you can learn at any age but it does take time to learn

Ps pipes chased in walls carying water should be lagged not sleeved

I understood from reading other posts in here that it was okay to sleeve to allow for thermal movement. Lagged to allow for movement and protect against freezing?

I accept whet you say about taking time to learn. I tried very hard to find work for another plumber at a training rate, but nobody was interested (they thought I would set up on my own). I have good general building skills (worked as a plasterer/ tiler when younger) but have recently "qualified" as a plumber. I would love to work for a firm to learn the job properly, but in the meantime will have to learn as I go as we all have to eat.

Thanks Gray. What's the best lagging for this, normal foam lagging or felt type?:confused: I haven't done my water regs yet (got them next month) but I understood that you had to enclose buried pipes in plastic so that they can be removed/repaired without damaging wall. Hence I was intending to sheath in pverflow pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gray. What's the best lagging for this, normal foam lagging or felt type?:confused: I haven't done my water regs yet (got them next month) but I understood that you had to enclose buried pipes in plastic so that they can be removed/repaired without damaging wall. Hence I was intending to sheath in pverflow pipe.

9mm foam lagging
Forget about that bit about pipes should be accessable even it you have in overflow pipe how do you get it out again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Chasing pipes for shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock