Search the forum,

Discuss Changing immersions on an unvented system.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cheat007

Hi all.

Hope someone can answer a question I have. Basically, first floor flat and ive got an unvented system which sole purpose is to heat the hot water for the taps. The system is about 2 years old now and both immersions in the cylinder have failed.

A while back the main immersion packed up and didn't heat the water at all when the system was programmed to come on in the night (economy 7), so to get hot water the second 'boost' or top up immersion heater was used which was fine untill that also packed up.

Now upon looking at the immersions I can see that it appears that they are leaking from around the electrical connections (poor quality immersions i'd suspect) and upon switching the main immersion on via the timer, it makes a hissing noise and produces smoke.

So time to replace the two immersions on the cylinder then.

Now my question is this. Is it any different changing an immersion on an unvented system as apposed to a normal vented system? If I shut off the main feed to the cylinder and then let the water drain out of the cylinder by turning on the hot taps, will I need to worry about the pressure in the system? Is it as straight forward as drain the cylinder down to below the lowest immersion, remove and replace the two 14" immersions and then refill the cylinder with water again?

Hope someone can help :)

Someone who's qualified to work on and install unvented systems can help you - it's against the law (and potentially very dangerous!) to try and do this on your own.

The changing of the heaters is simple enough but setting the system properly afterwards and ensuring it adheres to the regulations is important. The government (sorry - nanny state) has compared this to working on gas.

Sorry to sound negative.

what you have proposed wont work - as dont know it all states don not touch, you obviously dont understand the principles. get an engineer in.
unvented cylinders can cause huge bangs.

good luck

@ dontknowitall- Thanks for the reply. Had a feeling this was the case, but wanted to double check here first.

@ migoplumber- No I don't fully understand all the ins and outs of the unvented system, hence my asking on here.

When I first took my unvented,there were not that many about but I needed the bit of paper,there are loads of unvented cylinders about now and nice little earners,it should now pay to take the unvented course ,not only for safety but also to get the basics,so you can do the job required

alot of unvented cylinder immersions are not standard sizes and are specific to the cylinder stay clear mate unvented cylinders can go bang big time !! With gas you get a dry explosion with unvented cylinders it is steam! you wouldnt want to be in the way if one goes!!

All parts fitted also have to come from system manufacturer.You can't just fit any old parts.

@ dontknowitall- Thanks for the reply. Had a feeling this was the case, but wanted to double check here first.

@ migoplumber- No I don't fully understand all the ins and outs of the unvented system, hence my asking on here.

go on to mythbusters and search for unvented explosion, well worth a look

sorry i didnt mean to offend, just wanted you to get the point. my post still stands - i gave the right advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changing immersions on an unvented system.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock