Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating/hot water pump problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BigAl

Hi there, I decided last night to check my heating system before it gets too cold, and unfortunately I have encountered a problem.
I have 4 radiators heating my flat and have a Grundfos selectric 4, Type 450 - 130 pump, probably 30 years old, the problem I have is that it isn't pumping.
I have checked the rotor and it is free and the motorised valves are operating.
When I turn on the central heating and hot water switches the motorised valves operates but the pump doesn't operate. I have removed the cover on the pump and checked for a power supply, the power is present, but when I turn off the central heating control switch the motorised valve shuts down the power stays on at the pump, the same applies to the hot water switch. If I turn the mains swicth off and on again the power to the pump has gone. when I operate the motorised valve switch and it opens fully the power comes on at the pump, but when I turn it off the valve closes but the power stays at the pump, and the pump is rather hot. Is this a symptom of pump failure. If so can you recommend a replacement type?
Many thanks

If you've got 240v to the pump [ live - neutral] & the rotor's not spining ypu need a new pump.
A grundfos ups 15-50 should do, or a similar 5 metre head pump.
Regards the power to the pump after valves shut, it'll be the pump overrun.
Makesure you turn off the electrics off & remove fuse at the fuse spur before changing it.

Cheers aggis, I have replaced the pump but before I run the system I was wondering... when bleeding the radiators do you do it with the pump on or off?

On ... or off!!

Best with it off though, until you think they're all bled. Sometimes the pump is needed to push some air around to an upstairs radiator.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK pump working fine radiators all piping hot, but.......When I turn on the central heating switch the motorised valves operates and after the time delay the pump fires up no problem there, but when I turn the central heating switch off the pump keeps running. (Probably why the original pump packed in)? I have to turn it off at the mains switch, but if I turn the mains switch on again (without the central heating switch) the pump runs for approx 5 seconds and shuts off. This happens with either hot water or heating. I have checked the same system next door and as soon as you turn off the heating or water the pump stops immediately.
Any ideas on this issue

Hi al , the suprima controls the pump and it is pump overrun you are experiencing , this is correct and should run for about 5 mins to clear residual heat to protect the boiler

Brilliant thanks ferret, that has saved a pensioner an expensive callout. I never realised there were so many helpfull people out there. Once again thanks to all who helped, magic site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating/hot water pump problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock