Search the forum,

Discuss bypassed water main in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

samtheplumber

basically my problem is, i have redirected a water main by removing the old pipe and stop tap and re connected in another downstairs bathroom, as there was a leak somewhere under a new extention on the old water main. after making the re connection in its new place, i switched the water back on. everything works in the house except the original downstairs toilet where the old mains used to be and there is no water supplying the unvented cylinder!!!!! and cannot get my head around why! someone please help my head it hurts haha cheers guys.

Remember stopcock act as non return valves if fitted with loose jumpers. Just perhaps

basically my problem is, i have redirected a water main by removing the old pipe and stop tap and re connected in another downstairs bathroom, as there was a leak somewhere under a new extention on the old water main. after making the re connection in its new place, i switched the water back on. everything works in the house except the original downstairs toilet where the old mains used to be and there is no water supplying the unvented cylinder!!!!! and cannot get my head around why! someone please help my head it hurts haha cheers guys.
sounds like you have cut off the supply feed to these.HTH:cool:

ye thats true but the mains is supplying everything as normal but not the original toilet i removed the old mains from and the unvented cylinder. could this be that because i have redirected the water mains into another position at the other end of the house, as the water is traveling the opposite direction could the non return valves at the cylinder be effecting it?

sounds like you have cut off the supply feed to these.HTH:cool:

whats HTH? i cant unrerstand why the mains wont supply that original toilet and the cylinder as it is all on the original circuits anyway!??:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
You should get someone with an unvented ticket to look at this as you may have bypassed the pressure reducing valve, expansion unit etc.
In fact I would say you most definately have !

Last edited:
You should get someone with an unvented ticket to look at this as you may have bypassed the pressure reducing valve, expansion unit etc.
In fact I would say you most definately have !

right that was plan b! ha. well as u say that i may have bypassed the pressure reducing valve, expansion unit etc. could i not take a cold feed connection off the basin where the old mains was and connect it to the pipe which used to be where the mains came in? :confused:

what i mean is where the old mains has been disconnected can i take the cold supply from the basin and connect it to where the old mains used to come in? to kind of re activate the toilet and cylinder? i cant get my head round why it doent work anyway as the pipework is all the same

Last edited by a moderator:
You may have 2 cold feeds to the taps etc . One from the mains and the other as a pressure balanced cold from the cylinder .
You must know someone with unvented who can have a look for you , Get it checked ASAP

Hmm!

Don't know exactly what the problem is, but just a tip that might help. The screw down stop taps on water mains usually have a loose jumper that acts as a none return valve if the water flows back the wrong way. So if you have reversed the flow and there are stop taps fitted or none return valves they will close off the supply.

Check the stop taps and nrv's to see which way the water is flowing into them. Usually they have an arrow on or in the case of a screw down stop tap the flow comes in from the bottom. But must admit you can't always see it does without taking the top off. You can then see that the flow lifts the jumper and washer if the taps is fitted right and would force the jumper down onto the seating if it is the wrong way around.

Nrv,s work in a similar way, but some have balls which are blown up the pipe to rest against a stop so the water runs around them and up the pipe when fitted right. If its fitted wrong the ball goes the other way and presses down onto a seating like the tap washer in the screw down valve and seals the water off.

Some nrvs have a swing door inside which do about the same kind of thing. They only open one way like an ordinary door and shut if you push it from the wrong way.

I say this, guess why?

Yep! Done it, put valves in the wrong way around myself! :) :)

thanks for all your help guys! i got it checked and managed so solve it! it was a case of split mains in the cavity so where the mains split originally it just needed re connecting the where the old mains was! now the cylinder feed is working and the hot water has been restored! :D cheers guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to bypassed water main in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock