Search the forum,

Discuss Blocked drain pipe. Yes, I know another one of these. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blocked

Hi guys, the waste pipe (is that what it is called? it is the pipe leading from my sink) in my bathroom is blocked. I have cleared the P-trap, used a gel-like drain cleaner I got from a supermarket, poured boiling hot water down it, poured strong bleach down it, none of which worked. I even separated the P-trap from the remainder of the pipe and rammed a sharp pole down it in an attempt to dislodge what is causing the blockage. I suspect I may have just compacted whatever is is causing the blockage. I have attached photos of the substance I think may be causing the blockage. To me it looks like limescale but I am from a soft water area so I am not sure. Let me know if it is.

I've also attached a photo of the part of the pipe where the blockage is.

Obviously, I am trying to avoid using a plumber as I think the problem should be easily solved and I am broke. If anyone can suggest a way of clearing the blockage without the use of a plumber and cheaply I'd be really appreciative. I have thought about putting something down the part of the pipe where the blockage is that may 'dissolve' limescale.:smile:.

L.

Attachments

• IMAG0167.jpg
    IMAG0167.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0173.jpg
    IMAG0173.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0168.jpg
    IMAG0168.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 22
That doesn't look at all like limescale, more like tile cement or plaster. Have you had work done and the tradesman has emptied buckets down there?

If so, get him back, it's his responsibility.

If not, and you can't force the blockage through to the soil pipe the only way is to replace the pipe. If you can access both ends , simply disconnect, buy a new piece of pipe (11/2" push fit) and Bob's your uncle.

If you can't disconnect fully due to access at the bottom of the pipe you could cut out a section of pipe and replace it using two push-fit straight connectors. The only problem is that you don't know how far the blockage goes, but it's worth a try if cash is a problem.

Split the pipe at the elbow and pour caustic soda down leave for 15 mins and see if that clears it

There's already 'some gel' and strong bleach down there, you'd need to be a chemist to predict what will happen with another chemical in there. Adding the heat associated with caustic may create chlorine gas. I'd try a plunger first, then a drain snake. I'd also be sure to wear PPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blocked drain pipe. Yes, I know another one of these. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Needing some advice for recurrent blocked drains in upstairs toilet and sinks/shower. I’ve tracked the drain to under the house and it looks like...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm not an expert but wondered if anyone might be able to assist. I've replaced an old toilet with a new one. I've used the same water inlet...
Replies
Views
P
Hi I’ve got a blockage somewhere that’s preventing the GCH bathroom towel rail from heating. Plumber has offered to try and resolve it at...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hello All, I have an issue and hoping someone could shed some light on the problem. We have been getting a smell coming up in the bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hi, As per title we have a regular smell from the shower trap. Clean the trap twice a week, had a cleaning rod down the shower waste pipe and no...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock