Search the forum,

Discuss Blocked soil pipe after installing replacement toilet in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - I'm not an expert but wondered if anyone might be able to assist. I've replaced an old toilet with a new one. I've used the same water inlet pipe, and have just replaced the right angled soil pipe connecter (110 at toilet end to a 97-107 connector end to existing soil pipe). It's secured down, and works OK, apart from the toilet water after flush is draining away slowly after flush, like there's a block somewhere in the soil pipe.

It's connected to the downstairs main soil pipe that also has 2 sinks, a dishwasher and bath connected. If I drop a lot of water down one of the sinks (bucket for example) then I'm getting bubbles in the toilet, and vice versa.

If anyone could point me in the right direction of how I might have gone wrong, or if it just sounds like a blockage in the main soil pipe, i'd be really grateful. Thanks!

Do you have a picture of the side of the old toilet

Could be an air problem

Do you have a picture of the side of the old toilet

Could be an air problem
Hi this is the old toilet (not sure if this is what you meant) and I’ve included a photo of the new toilet I’ve connected
IMG_4871.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4870.jpeg
    IMG_4870.jpeg
    543.3 KB · Views: 21
The pan please eg picture of the side like the new one

Spot on

No it’s a stnd pan so in theory should be fine nothing accidentally fell down the pipe ?

No - that was sort of impossible as the soil pipe (terracotta one) was already there and horizitonal - so I just attached new connection to it.

What’s strange is that at first I bought the wrong connection, and the toilet was too far out from the wall, and it flushed absolutely fine. But I changed the connection between toilet and soil pipe to the one shown, and now I’ve got this issue.

There wasn’t any instruction book in it tbh I think your going to have to pull it off and check etc

hi Chris - the connector between soil pipe and connector pipe was only about half the width of the one I replaced, so I put a bit of waterproof tape around to make sure it didn’t leak. It’s not uphill, but pretty flat like the one I replaced. Should I try removing tape? Thanks!

Is the upstairs soil pipe connected to the downstairs soil pipe and then to the stack with an open vent?

Or is upstairs connected direct to an open vented stack pipe and downstairs has a separate connection to the vented stack?

Or is there no open vent at all?

If it's the first and or third and you get bubbles in the downstairs toilet / sinks when you flush then there's a (partial) blockage below / downstream of toilet / sinks, the pipe is filing up and pushing air out through any waste pipe connected to it.

It may be coincidence or you may have disturbed something left in the brown soil pipe.

My money is on some solidified “matter”, that was in the horizontal pipe, had broken away during the disturbance and is now causing a blockage further down.
First thing I’d do is lift a manhole or two outside and clear as necessary.
If no joy, it’s time to take out th d new loo and investigate further.

Is the upstairs soil pipe connected to the downstairs soil pipe and then to the stack with an open vent?

Or is upstairs connected direct to an open vented stack pipe and downstairs has a separate connection to the vented stack?

Or is there no open vent at all?

If it's the first and or third and you get bubbles in the downstairs toilet / sinks when you flush then there's a (partial) blockage below / downstream of toilet / sinks, the pipe is filing up and pushing air out through any waste pipe connected to it.

It may be coincidence or you may have disturbed something left in the brown soil pipe.
Hiya - thanks for your help. The upstairs is connected to a separate external soil pipe that was put in when we added a new bathroom. This has an open vent and is working fine.

The downs stairs plumbing still uses the old original soil pipe.

Today I’ve tried replacing the vent on the downstairs soil pipe. When it’s off completely the toilet flushes without problem. However when it’s on, I’m getting the same problem.

Does this all point to a blockage somewhere below the surface?

Thanks for your help

Yep blockage if you flush enough it will start to back up

Sorry for the late post on this but just wanted to say thanks for your help. It was a problem underground. Had a blockage underground and once fixed, everything worked perfectly. Thanks for all the help!

Reply to Blocked soil pipe after installing replacement toilet in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock