Discuss Apollo Boiler keeps cutting out and making banging sound : ( Please Help I’m all cold in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mavmbuk

Hi all,

Am hoping someone can give me some advice on what i can do / diagnose my problem i am having with my Apollo 15/30B wall mounted Gas boiler.

I have recently moved into my 1st house and been here for about 2 months. As its starting to get allot colder i decided
to switch on the heating as its been off since i moved in. So turned the boiler from off to High and great it fired up and then after about 30 seconds
starts making a banging sound :confused:and after a minute it cuts out with just the pilot light staying on for about 35 seconds and then it will repeat. :mad:

I have also made a shot video clip so you can see/hear the problem.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHWgzs53q0E"]YouTube - Apollo[/ame]

Am grateful for your time and help. :cool:

Re: Apollo Boiler keeps cutting out and making banging sound : ( Please Help I’m all

top marks for graphics,
fast trackers will wet themselves for this one, just like being at school.

it looks dangerous to me, needs a good service, nothing you can do yourself here call out g.s.i.

Re: Apollo Boiler keeps cutting out and making banging sound : ( Please Help I’m all

Well would say your heat exchanger is blocked up or the central heating pump is stuck/siezed

Water is being heated in boiler ,not circulting and banging caused by overheating

If boiler been off for a while you may be able to free pump off,turn boiler thermostat to off ,turn heating on ,go to pump and tap back of pump with a hammer,not to hard to try to free off,if pump has a chrome screw in middle of pump,you can also try to undo and you will see a spindle place small screw driver in end of spindle and rotate clockwise to try to free off,if in centre of pump you see a plastic nut looosen off anti clockwise to try to free pump
If all that fails,afraid heating engineer required
ps impressed with you tube insert,why to go !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Needs a good service. Strangely the noise to me doesn't sound so much like kettling as a gas valve snapping shut, its a very metallic sound. It may be the overheat stat shutting off the gas valve though.

As a tip get the service engineer to check the water supply to the boiler. Had a case years ago where the feed and expansion cistern was full but the cold feed to the boiler was blocked.

i have had this before where it kettles and been off over summer and gone in

the loft only the find ballcock stuck in the off position and the water has

evaporated and not helping the circulation..have a look

Got a guy out to have a look and it was the pump had seized and felt red hot. But he said he would see if it would free up, so he unscrewed the big middle screw and it came back to life : )

Got him to service my boiler so all in all it cost me £45 :D

Only prob is that the day after he had got it working it is now starting to sound not to healthy as it sounds like the pump is making a grinding sound so not sure if its on its last legs or not?

Cheers for all the Post All! :D

probably on its way out thats why i never restart jammed pumps but at what he charged you its not realy his fault id wait and see if the noise clears if not get him back to fit you a new pump as he sound cheap enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Apollo Boiler keeps cutting out and making banging sound : ( Please Help I’m all cold in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock