Discuss Advice please on Electric Hot Water Cylinder and Header Tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig T

Hi,

I'm a novice, so please bear with me, and apologies if I'm using the wrong terms or not giving enough detail.

I would really appreciate any advice on the following:

I have an electric hot water cylinder (which typically heats the hot water on the night time cheap rate electricity, and which does this automatically during the night - it also has a back up boost / manual option too).

This is the only source of hot water in my place.

Above the hot water cylinder is a much smaller water tank, which I think feeds the hot water cylinder below it, and which I think is called a header tank?

Over the past few days, and since someone was around to change a tap for me (at which point he drained the hot water totally) I've heard a drid drip drip noise coming from this header tank, which was never there before.

I opened the lid of this header tank, and it's got cold water in it, and some kind of ball cock device, similar to that I've seen in my toilet.

I can see a drip of water coming in from the inflow pipe, which is constantly dripping water into the header tank.

I could also see an exit pipe too, which is above the current water level, and am assuming this is some kind of overflow pipe?

My questions are:

Why would the water be continiously dripping into the header tank, even when no taps have been used for hours, and when it never used to drip?

In time, will the drip mean the header tanks fills totally, and if so, will excess water be directed out of this header tank from what I think was the overflow pipe, and if so, where might this lead to?
What I need to do to correct / stop this drip?

Many thanks in advance

Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
:welcome: to the forum Craig :)

Chances are something has been dislodged in pipework when the tap was changed and has damaged or lodged on the ballvalve seating? the water will eventually reach the overflow level if left too and it should lead outside somewhere?

To fix depends on how compitent you feel ... You can replace the valve or replace the valve innards or get a proffesional to do it for you :)

If you are going to all the trouble to remove the ball valve, (is it the brass type) for the price of a new one £5/£10 (depending were you get it) just replace it ! not worth the hassell of striping it down,

I agree - replace it, the time taken to strip it down and repair will cost more than a replacement. That said I always try and strip down the old ones I take out, just because I am nosy. About 50 % of the time the valve is corrroded and old it will nit come apart.

unfortunately this does sometimes happen when other work is performed, i agree its probably worth changing the valve complete for the price one costs. The are very simple to change but if your unsure get a professional in.

welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice please on Electric Hot Water Cylinder and Header Tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked...
Replies
Views
I have a vented hot-water cylinder that was installed when the house was built - 38 years ago! It has a header tank in the loft and the cylinder...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are...
Replies
Views
Can somebody tell me where I can get a cover/top compatible with this header tank please? as insects are getting into the hot water It will also...
Replies
Views
Back