Search the forum,

Discuss Bubbling hot water going to header tank in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we linked to a leak to the seal from a pipe at our header tank. The company that installed the tank have been back and rectified the error by re-plumbing the tank (changed the pipe work). As you can imagine we now have a live complaint with the installation company. My questions are:

How significant an error is this?
How dangerous was it to be sending hot water (it was literally bubbling) to our heading tank (potential that the tank could breach)?
The hot water would obviously cool down after the heating is turned off, leaving a warm supply sitting in our header tank. Is there any legionnaires risk?
Our central heating system is now working much better than ever before, the radiators are much hotter. Could the fact that the system was pulling hot water up to the header tank at the same time as trying to send hot water to our radiators have impacted on the effectiveness of our central heating system?

At the moment it feels like the installation company are trying to brush us off so any help that can be offered would be much appreciated

Thankyou

Solution
Hot water in a plastic tank risks structural failure and potential leaks, which you've already experienced. The incorrect installation likely reduced heating efficiency by diverting hot water away from radiators. The risk of Legionnaires' disease, while thankfully typically low in domestic/residential settings, increases with stagnant warm water. We'd advise you to ensure your system is checked for residual issues and water quality. For peace of mind and system longevity, maybe consider an independent inspection to assess any ongoing risks or damage caused by that initial error. Hope this helps you out a bit more - and good luck with your dealings with the installers.
Hot water in a plastic tank risks structural failure and potential leaks, which you've already experienced. The incorrect installation likely reduced heating efficiency by diverting hot water away from radiators. The risk of Legionnaires' disease, while thankfully typically low in domestic/residential settings, increases with stagnant warm water. We'd advise you to ensure your system is checked for residual issues and water quality. For peace of mind and system longevity, maybe consider an independent inspection to assess any ongoing risks or damage caused by that initial error. Hope this helps you out a bit more - and good luck with your dealings with the installers.

Solution
Thank you

Reply to Bubbling hot water going to header tank in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
I have a 2 pump hot water tank (Flomax 180L fitted in '94) in airing cupboard system with an Ideal classic boiler (downstairs next to an external wall) which for the most part seems to provide excellent hot water. The central heating also works fine - though sometimes I think the radiuators...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank upstairs in the house. We have an issue where if the boiler isn’t set to 80c then the boiler will short cycle, the hot water tank thermostat is set at...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock