Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on lowering oil boiler output to better match demand in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lebowski

I Would appeciate a few thoughts on what I should do with the following situation.

Recently moved into 400 year old house with 13 year old CH refit. Seems to be a good job but the Oil consumption is pretty high so I have been looking into the basics first before splashing out.

Boilder is 110Btu Trianco and the comissioning sheet tells me that it was about 85% efficient when installed. At some point the Burner has been changed to a Riello 40 GB3 and the balanced flue removed. Got it serviced by an OFTEC engineer last month before I moved in but don't have the paperwork to tell me what it is running at now.

Having done a quick check of the radiators, there is about 15kW, all on thermostatics, which is fine for a 3 bed cottage and it is plenty hot enough when running.

However, the boiler output is about 30kW from looking at the nozzle and burner data sheets and it cycles on and off every 5 minutes when running in steady state (timer only, no central or zone thermostats).

So does it make sense to have so much extra boiler output available or should I get the engineer back to fit a smaller nozzle and bring the output down to something more appropriate (20 kw?).

The boiler appears to be overspecified, cycling on and off 12 times an hour, and using about 20l of oil a day over 8 hours (2 morning, 6 evening) so i am wondering if I would get more life/lower running costs as a result.

Thanks for your advice.

There are a number of issues here, all rudimentary. I'll compile a response and post it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on lowering oil boiler output to better match demand in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hi Can you help me determine if my new Navien lcb700 lsx is working as expected? I got the Navien oil boiler installed to replaced an old firebird boiler. The new boiler is a condensing oil boiler and I’m not sure if this is working as expected. I’ve a 300 L water cylinder and after one hour...
Replies
Views
Hi all Having some renovations done on ground floor and looking to get rid of / replace some of the older looking boilers on that floor (mainly Double panel, double convector, some double panel single convector. As well as replacing these I wanted to add a couple radiators too, but have become...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
Hello - I was hoping for some advice and opinions on a new combi boiler I currently have a 3 bed semi with a myson orion boiler (it isnt a combi) - the boiler was installed around 1989, hasn't given any problems and is still working fine. Due to the increase in gas prices it is time to change...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock