Search the forum,

Discuss 42mm copper - will it freeze? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

Im used to working up to 28 max but Ive been asked to move a big (oil) boiler running on 42mm. I need to move it across a yard and into a brick out house. The builders will dig me a trench. Its a collossal house with zones everywhere. I would love to be able to freeze the pipes, add isolators, cut, move etc. I have the Rothenberger RoFrost Turbo but never tried on anything that big. Anyone advice please?

While we're at it, the trench will be under flagstones, its listed property. I was thinking of slipping each pipe (just F&R) into some soil pipe, or even 86mm guttering down pipe (with insulation obviously), any other thoughts? Ive looked at the proper thermal gear but it worked out at over £800 + VAT for 10 metres.

I thank'ee. :)

Come on peep's read the opening thread. You wish to freeze the pipes to install isolation valves to enable the extension work for moving the boiler. The kit you currently have will not do the job. You will need an industrial standard freezer kit to ensure a satisfactory change over. To be honest, I think it would be more cost effective to drain it down. As for the insulation, it must be water proof and up to an effective insulation factor. This will require a professional insulation job, don't try to scrimp and scrape using soil pipe filled with lagging, it will not meet the requirement and will bite you on the bum at a latter date, costing you more than you could have possibly imagined, when you get into litigation and are required to put it right.

use the correct gear, preinsulated pipework in waterproof tubing is the way. Im having to rip out and replace some underground plastic pipe in sept pulled through a conduit and cheap insulation on it, its full of water and warming the soil nicely at present! re freezing, just drain and go, then youll be flushing prior to recommissioning anyhow!

Eco flex pipe will be much better and in long run will pay for itself

Definitely have to use heat main/ eco flex. What ever you want to call it. You can freeze 42mm with the right freeze master kit. Speak to your local hire company

If something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing, liquid nitrogen should do nicely.

[DLMURL="http://www.pipefreeze.co.uk/pipefreezing.htm"]Pipefreezing[/DLMURL]

Otherwise the larger freeze master kit will do up to 61mm.

Oh and definitely use the proper pipe, never worth cutting corners it'll always come back and bite you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 42mm copper - will it freeze? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Also have a Rothenber Rofrost Turbo pipefreezer. Worked well in the begining. Now its leaving me in the lurge. Refuses to freeze 22mm as well as 28mm copper lines. Service from Rothenberger stinks. Can't find local service agent. I won't recommend anyone buying a electric pipefreezer machine. I...
Replies
Views
Chris Van der Lingen
C
Thanks in advance for any advice. have moved recently into new house (London hard water area) and want to install a second garden bib tap to serve the front garden. No issue there can take a run of pipe within the garage to the front. Ive noticed though the tap at the back garden is run off...
Replies
Views
Hi Moving my outdoor boiler and boiler house. I'm moving it around to the other side of my house and out a bit into the garden. I've the trench dug out and I'm ready to go this weekend but I'd like some advice before I start to drain and dismantle the boiler. 1. Copper or Speedfit piping and...
Replies
Views
We purchased an incomplete house 2 years ago. It was a bargain so we were prepared for possible unpleasant surprises. So far the only major problem we are having is the heating system. In Ireland during the big freeze there was issues with central heating pipes bursting. Our house was a vacant...
Replies
Views
T
Hi, I'm a competent person by diy standards and would like to understand if there are any serious flaws in the following plan. Currently the supply pipe comes from the water board's box and across the boundary in a 25mm MDPE blue pipe. That pipe is then joined to the original lead pipe, which I...
Replies
Views
tommys
T
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock