Search the forum,

Discuss Constant Pressure drop on central heating system (grant boiler) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
We purchased an incomplete house 2 years ago. It was a bargain so we were prepared for possible unpleasant surprises. So far the only major problem we are having is the heating system. In Ireland during the big freeze there was issues with central heating pipes bursting. Our house was a vacant unsold property and now it seems it has this problem.

We installed our heating system last July and have since found several small leaks and one big leak. As far as I can tell all of our leaks are contained to downstairs where the flooring is concrete. The concrete expanded during the freeze and caused leaks. My plumber also found shitty plastic fittings and this is where we are having most of the leaks appearing. Apparently plastic and concrete isn’t a good marriage!

Since July the heating went on, and some leaks appeared really quickly, ie water springing up flooding sections of the house which were easily identified. Then others showed up over the course of a week or more. These were slow drips that were hard to identify. At the moment I have 10 holes in my flooring where each leak was found and then fixed. Then with each hole fixed the heating would be put back on only for the pressure to slowly drop over the course of 2 weeks proving that we have more leaks to be identified.

My plumber is a good guy and has tried to fix the leaks in the most cost effective way possible. He has been digging up each small section with a kango, with an educated guess as to where the new leak is. My issue now is that he has totally lost interest in the job, which is understandable as it’s a total pain!

He has shown me how to put the pressure back on the system and I know how to bleed the radiators but this problem needs to be resolved fully. My plumber was keen for me to fill in the holes we have but I’ve kept them as they could possibly be a window to where dampness is appearing. I can put the pressure on the system and run the heating for weeks without any water appearing. As the pressure is dropping the radiators aren’t fully hot and as you move further away from our grant boiler system the radiators get less warm.

Our plumber got a guy in with special sound equipment but he can only really detect big leaks not slow drips.

We have lovely wooden flooring upstairs and I’m hoping the problem is contained to downstairs, as I am assuming with the heating running constantly if there were leaks upstairs (even slow ones) they would show on the ceilings pretty quickly?

My question is what would you advise at this stage. I’m tempted to get a kango in myself and take up the remaining area of flooring where there are any pipes (expensive tiles and all) just to get the job complete. We have had endless “it should be OK now” only to be disappointed to see the pressure drop again. Is the warmth of the radiators any indication of where to start looking for the new leak? Or do you have any advice on how to start looking for the leaks like isolating areas some how?

Where we are based in the midlands of Ireland it seems fecking impossible to get a plumber so we are kinda at his mercy. Should I just open the floors myself find all possible leaks and then get him in to fix them?

Do you think there may be another problem that I am over looking?

I am obviously very frustrated and would like this job to be complete.

Sounds like your only option is to repipe the ground floor and drop each feed from the upstairs etc

Get the decent plumber back and ask him to repipe the ground floor

that sound to the other extreme and a bit drastic as our leaks only seem to be where there was plastic fitting are on some of the bends etc. The pipes in the main are perfect. There was only one burst pipe and that leak was very obvious.

It's the only way your going to sort your issue out once and for all

Either that or keep patching it a joint at a time

Have you tried thermal imaging for leak detection? Also is the pressure vessel correctly sized for the heating system volume causing excess pressure and discharge?

Hi Vee

we haven't tried the thermal imaging, I've just looked it up and that might be a really good option for us. I'm going to see if there are any company close by who do it.
I don't know about the pressure vessel. that sound like something only the plumber would know. I don't want to ask him as its a bit insulting if I start questioning him, is there any way I could find this out myself?

Sounds like you have two problems - bad workmanship and unknown frost damage.
If it is at all possible, get all the pipework replaced by a top professional.
Maybe consider having the floors cut around the perimeters, so to avoid weakening the floors and also making it much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Constant Pressure drop on central heating system (grant boiler) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock