Search the forum,

Discuss Moving my outdoor oil boiler. Copper or Speedfit? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Moving my outdoor boiler and boiler house. I'm moving it around to the other side of my house and out a bit into the garden. I've the trench dug out and I'm ready to go this weekend but I'd like some advice before I start to drain and dismantle the boiler.

1. Copper or Speedfit piping and joints? I'm moving in roughly 7 meter (following the pipe) I think with that short distance copper is the best way to go although I've read on some forums it makes little difference and speed for is a good bit cheaper?

2. Insulation. I was looking at a closed cell foam insulation like armaflex but can't seem to find locally.

3. Outer protection. I was thinking it would be best to get som 6inch underground pipe to put the central heating pipes and electrical cables inside as I wasn't sure the Armaflex insulation would survive very long in the soil and it will provide some extra protection. Not that ther will be a lot of weight above the pipes (just a walkway) but if I do that I can't figure out how I'll tighten the elbow joints on the copper inside the pipe corner joints?

Maybe there is a better way entirely than using an underground pipe, or maybe it's not necessary?

Any help would be much appreciated ahead of the weekend!

Thanks

Best way would be employe the services of a decent oftec tech least you know the boiler us right and installed right

For obvious reasons, we won't and can't help you fiddle with things that fall under strict laws, laws that are there to prevent people from blowing themselves, or other people up.

<tongue-in- cheek>We're not too fussed about them blowing themselves up - Darwin Award and all that. But it's the other people we're bothered about that didn't have a choice in the matter.</tongue-in-cheek>

UKPlumbersForums.co.uk is here for all types of plumbers. But to repair or install anything that requires you to comply with laws, you'll need to follow the correct procedure to prove you're competent.

You're welcome to ask about water plumbing and whatnot. But lay off the Heating Engineer-related questions please. Carrying on may result in your account being restricted or suspended from the forum.

Thanks for the reply!

But I think I might not have explained it right. I'm not servicing my boiler or anything like that. Beyond my skill set. I'll simply drain the system water, disconnect the piping, move it to its new home 7 meters away and reconnect the piping. The electrical part im having a friend who is a qualified electrician to do that. Not so fussed on electrics.

So won't be doing anything that would blow up or break laws (to my knoledge)... Think that might be overthinking it. Just extending some pipes and looking to insulate and protect properly underground.

Any advice on that part would be helpful

Thanks

Thanks for the reply!

But I think I might not have explained it right. I'm not servicing my boiler or anything like that. Beyond my skill set. I'll simply drain the system water, disconnect the piping, move it to its new home 7 meters away and reconnect the piping. The electrical part im having a friend who is a qualified electrician to do that. Not so fussed on electrics.

So won't be doing anything that would blow up or break laws (to my knoledge). Think that might be overthinking it. Just extending some pipes and looking to insulate and protect properly underground.

Any advice on that part would be helpful

Thanks

How are you moving and setting up the oil line and pump ?

I dont think you understand bud this could go disastrously wrong especially as you have to ask what materials to use and you dont know the regulations , we cannot be seen to help you all i will say is get a oftec registered installer in sorry but rules is rules regards kop

[DLMURL]https://oftec.org.uk/Consumers/FindTechnician[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Moving my outdoor oil boiler. Copper or Speedfit? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock