Search the forum,

Discuss Supply pipe replacement with MDPE - check my plan! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tommys

Hi, I'm a competent person by diy standards and would like to understand if there are any serious flaws in the following plan.

Currently the supply pipe comes from the water board's box and across the boundary in a 25mm MDPE blue pipe.
That pipe is then joined to the original lead pipe, which I wish to replace.
The lead pipe runs beneath concrete slabs in the back yard, entering the house via a hole the shape of a missing half brick in the footings of the kitchen wall.

I aim to lay 32mm MDPE in place of the lead pipe. Getting it through the tight bends needed to enter the property and rise directly up the wall it comes through will need to use compression elbows.

I understand that I will need to lag the pipe (and the elbows) as they enter the property (I cannot put the pipe 75cm away from an external wall, its just not an option). I dont see how I can construct a tubular sheath that will accommodate all of the z shape made by a pipe with two elbows but I will find some way to put the MDPE and insulation through an outer sheath as it passes into the building.
I am mildly surprised that it seems uncontroversial to use compression fittings in the trench, but I'm perhaps too cautious and it is common?
The termination inside the house will be from 32mm via a compression reducer to 1" bsp then to 28mm copper to a 28mm brass stopcock.
I was not sure if it is necessary to fit an non-return valve at any point in this arrangement.

So my questions are:
Is anything here wildly misguided?
Any problem with using compression elbows below ground level?
As this work is is entirely within my property boundary do I still need to get the go-ahead from the water board people (or a plumber with the rights to sign a job off)?
If I want the run of 32mm pipe all the way into the supply box (i.e. to replace the short 1m of 25mm pipe that runs from the box across the boundary and into my property) will that be a costly?

And finally a BIG whinge: Given all the standards which we should all respectfully conform to, accepting that subsoil freezing could occur above 75cm deep for example, then the backfilling done when the water board fitted my water meter, installed mdpe 25mm pipe across my boundary then joined it to lead, WELL! the backfill was sharp stones & concrete chips mixed in with clay soil, no sand anywhere, sharp stones right up against the newly installed pipe and surrounding the joint fitting between the mdpe and lead. I was not impressed. I quick n dirty job that was but no leaks at the joint I am pleased to report.

Thanks for your interest and time.
Tom

to meet water regs you should use a wras approved plumber, having said that most don't, I try to never use fittings below ground as they can fail so why risk it, but you can. otherwise crack on.

32mm pipe size, long service trench with machine excavation?
Locate all utilities, including neighbours, before you start. Hand dig to confirm and assume nothing.

Great advice, thanks.
Trench will be dug by hand and with care, after cutting slots in the concrete slabs, no diggers for me. The neighbour's services will be intact, I promise. I realise that I really don't have a clue where the gas and electricity services are laid. Sewer is more predictable because that stuff only runs downhill :) And the plot is on a hill.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Supply pipe replacement with MDPE - check my plan! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock