Search the forum,

Discuss will you install the gas pipe work and commission boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats the phone call i've just had, where do you stand on this,the customer has done all the other pipework.

Last edited:
Nope. It's your details that will be logged on the commissioning certificate and who's to say what Joe has left in the pipes etc. Should the boiler go wrong in the future, I'm pretty sure Joe will be coming after you. Not worth the hassle IMHO.

If he's hung the boiler and "done all the other pipework", who disconnected the gas?

Sounds to me as he has started off on the wrong foot.

I plumbed my boiler in (some years ago I would add) and a GSR did the gas side, but he disconnected the gas to the old boiler in the morning, and came back later in the day to reconnect the gas and run through commissioning. The system was power flushed by me beforehand, and I kept the empty containers of X800 and X100 for him to see.

If anyone had asked questions over it, I would have said I was working under the GSR's supervision - he checked everything (at my insistence) and he was happy to put his name to the commissioning documents.

i would only do this if i was to fit and commission the boiler, flue, gas pipework,condense etc....i would be happy to have a customer run wet pipework to boiler position but i would make a point of telling them that you will only warantee the parts (labour) of the install you have fitted, any problems will be charged at a rate.

Last edited:
id have no problem with this provided i hang the boiler its no different to doing a boiler change when all the pipeworks there ,obviously i only warranty what ive done

Money's money as long as you cover your rse. He'll either find somebody else to do it or do it himself. At least it will be right if you do it.

For a price £££££ yes, if there's any problems it will be £££££££££ by the hour!

As stated above when you sign it off you are responsible for the integrity of the appliance and flue so I will not sign off unless I've hung the boiler and done the flue work as well as the gas. I'm happy for someone else to do the water side of things.

It's his problem and he spends all the money he saved doing the DIY install, having you diagnose and repair the system faults

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And them he sells the house two months later and the new owners yada yada yada

a properly worded quote and or report will have you completely covered, as long as you do the whole boiler install then once he sells the house your guarantee will be void anyway as your contract would be with the seller not the new owner,

i would do it , i would take boiler off the wall and do it as a new boiler change and would charge them as such

I had many people ask me to do this when I worked for myself what I did was quote however much I would charge to replace the boiler. Never had 1 taker.

I know, I was up a ladder in it thus morning. Can't beat a good soaking sometimes.

I had many people ask me to do this when I worked for myself what I did was quote however much I would charge to replace the boiler. Never had 1 taker.

That's what I used to do,but I just say no know. They can't fathom why you want £400 to £500 just for putting a gas pipe to it. And when you try to explain all you get is vacant looks.

Not for me, it's just the kind of people who want to do things like that, normally penny pinchers and everything is to expensive type people, or faf around finding the cheapest bits regardless of quality.

I know, I was up a ladder in it thus morning. Can't beat a good soaking sometimes.

It was lovely up here today, wall to wall sunshine. Had a free golf day at Slaley Hall booked in but twisted my knee last night at football.

That's what I used to do,but I just say no know. They can't fathom why you want £400 to £500 just for putting a gas pipe to it. And when you try to explain all you get is vacant looks.

Just saying no takes the fun out of it. I enjoyed the discussions afterwards especially when they said "I thought it would be about £50-£100" My usual answer to that was If I fitted the boiler I would commission it and connect the gas all in the same price.

I did get called some colourful names though. Gave me something to laugh about.

Fair play to someone who trys to put his own boiler up but even fairer play to the ones who get the pro's in to make sure its safe. In my time ive seen some right abortions by gs fitters its all about weather or not its safe. Id do it, but id make it clear ....any problems, if it doesnt work or it turns out not to be safe when I commisioned it thats the custards problem. Id probably do a few extra tests than normal i.e. maybe a little tug to check he hasnt stuck it on the wall with pritt stick and that its level. Apart from that a good visual and check the flue etc basically make surer what you can see done is done to the book. Wheres the condense run is it jumped up to 1"1/2 outside wheres it terminate. The people i hate are the question askers they are the nightmares i make nothing out of them.....how would you .....what can you............if i run a .......there the leeches.

If you dont sort it out someone else will ....

exactly steve... i take it anyone who wouldnt do this has never serviced a boiler without seeing its gas cert first.

i realy cant see how its any different to doing a safety check or survey on a property

I do, you don't normally make a good days labour out of a gas safety check. The type of people who do this are tight wads, there just not worth doing.

Signing off a boiler install and carrying out a gas safety check are two completely different things. When you sign off a boiler you are stating that it is securely fitted, the flue is correctly fitted etc. The only way you can confirm this is if you have fitted the boiler yourself. With a safety check you can only comment that things are working correctly at the time of your visit, you are not commenting on things that it is not possible to check after the boiler has been fitted and the making good done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

is it not also against the regulations to sign off work performed by a non registered person? the only way to cover yourself is to insist that you fit the boiler. As mike says your signing to say that you have installed the appliance. Your also notifying it to gas safe/building control so need to be sure its all correct. Once notified gas safe will offer a free check, if taken up and the inspector gets told by a proud diyer "i fitted the boiler, i just got an engineer to sign it off" you may have to asnwer some questions :(

I would charge for atleast days money depending on the gas run and fit the boiler or remove it and refit which should only take 30 mins to an hour in most cases anyway. You will have to flush etc... so would have to deal with any problems with the wet side even if its nowt to do with you to get it commissioned correctly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to will you install the gas pipe work and commission boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock