Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Wall hung basins????? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hello guy's, am just looking for a bit of advice, when you guy's fix in a wall hung basin and the wall is made out of plaster board, do you just fix brackets onto the plasterboard or do you cut out the board and put in some ply and a nugging?

Also if you were fitting a shower and the wall is made out of plasterboard, do you cut the plasterboard out and put plywood in and just get a tiler to tile?

Or do most of you guy's actually do the tiling your selves?

I look forward to your advice

Regards

Mutley

A wall hung basin will require a battening behind fixed between the joists if put on plaster board wall, any other way it will become loose, fall off

Shower walls should be marine ply, plasterboard will cause trouble not just because it is like a sponge but also to mush movement and when some one used shower every day, leaning and banging against wall the tiles will blow

Make sure all pvc’ed well before tiling, I tile myself, find it very satisfying but know other plumbers who get tilers or others in

If repairing leaking shower were bottom tiles loose and walls plaster board if customer will not go for complete re do always cut out bottom section of shower wall and fit marine ply to fit behind bottom layer of newly fixed tiles

When grouting shower areas, make sure you use the correct grout and that it is pushed well into the joints :)

Easy answer: Yes!

The number of fittings I have seen coming away because of bad fixing is tremendous.

One of the worst is PVC soil pipe. Play spot the expansion anchor point some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
depends on the width of the studs,if you have a small basin that ends up between them you cant unless the customer is happy with you chopping half the wall out.in this case i use decent wall anchors and some silicone behind the sink,when it cures the sink will not be going anywhere.
another tip if you have time is to brush the wall behind the sink with pva and let it set;)

You may think you are siliconing basin to wall,but infact what you are doing is siliconing basin to paint and the surface paper of the plaster board,a bit of leaning and it will tear/pull off
Then any making good of the wall is down to you to make good,when a battern is fitted as should have been

Last edited by a moderator:
but if you brush the plasterboard with pva it sucks it in and sets,not ideal i know but if the customer does not want the cost of ripping the wall apart you can not do it

Plaster can not hold weight such as a wall hung sink with silicone or using "special" fixings. Bad reputation from a cut corner will far outweight the little extra work to do it right and use a batten behind.
Years ago my old boss had a subbie tiler, so useless we had to fix the battons for him before he came to tile! Do your own if you can learn, you can give a customer what you promise that way.
If the plasterboard is a stud wall, i would use marine grade ply if you can find it, or normal ply and 2 or 3 thick coats of PVA. If its dot and dabbed to a solid wall i usually just tile straight to it.
Just my two cents worth, good luck.

its the customers choice not mine,it was a very small basin 9/10".
bad reputation and cutting corners comments are uncalled for:mad:
the sink had to be fitted between the studs,customer choice,and the basin aint going no where :rolleyes:

hey, thanks guys. Great to hear all your techniques.

Could you please tell me where you attach the bolt to? As in, do you have to drill it just to the back of the noggin you made between the studs? or right through the back of the plasterboard on the other side of the wall?

Am sure my last boss did it that way!

Thanks

hey, thanks guys. Great to hear all your techniques.

Could you please tell me where you attach the bolt to? As in, do you have to drill it just to the back of the noggin you made between the studs? or right through the back of the plasterboard on the other side of the wall?

Am sure my last boss did it that way!

Thanks
slightly confused with what you mean
you screw the brackets into to the noggin you have set between the studs,the fixings should go past the noggin just,but not into the next wall:)ie with a 100mm stud wall use a max of 70mm screws,but 50mm is normally enough:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wall hung basins????? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock