Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet feed leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Good start to a Sunday. The feed to the toilet has started to leak. I have closed the valve but thats as much as i've done. Google tells me this part is prone to leaking? Any suggestions would be great, thanks

IMG-20160724-WA0000.jpg

Welcome to the forums Jimmy, undo the top nut whilst holding the thread above with a pair of grips then you will see a Red fibre washer under the nut, this is most likely the cause of the leak and needs replacing.

(Cross posting with stani here)

Last edited:
Cheers guys. Slight update I think I may have tightened it too much as it now looks like theres a crack in the thread. Simple parts?

Cheers guys. Slight update I think I may have tightened it too much as it now looks like theres a crack in the thread. Simple parts?

In that case you`ve turned a simple job in to a larger job. Need you to remove the cistern lid and photograph the other end inside the cistern first.

I like a challenge. Yh on that, struggling to get the lid of as its a button push. Will post a photo when I manage to achieve that.
Thanks again

I like a challenge. Yh on that, struggling to get the lid of as its a button push. Will post a photo when I manage to achieve that.
Thanks again

Some simply unscrew others the buttons lift out first to reveal a screw underneath, go gently now we don`t want you breaking anything else do we?

stani, I`m thinking fluidmaster cistern fill valve?

Jimmy, best pop out to your nearest diy shed, be around ÂŁ20 mark I think.

As to the washer, - Hepworth do a flat 'rubber' washer for their plastic equivalent fittings. They can be got in a packet full.
They are identical size as the red fibre washers and a lot better, - especially where you tighten on to plastic tails. Rubber seals just need a gentle nip up.

Hopefully Jimmy has learnt that "real tight" isn`t always the way to go but hey everyone has to learn. Had a newbie the other month wanted to use 2 pairs of grips on a 32mm plastic compression fitting.

Bloody plastic tailed fill valves are nearly always terribly brittle plastic.
I use the brass tailed valves, - even fitting one on a brand new toilet I was installing in a flat recently. The thought of the plastic tailed valve supplied with the toilet cracking and flooding the flat and others below put me off fitting it.
Those Hepworth rubber washers can be bought in 22mm also. They are obviously supposed to do hot pipework, so should be good.
Never use tap connectors with any flat washers on valves that have a taper designed for an olive though, - too sharp an edge. Brass ballvalves seem to vary, - some are flat ended tails, some are tapered. I carry spare brass tails to use for nut and olive connection, which I prefer.

Have to admit I carry 1/2" Brass tap extension pieces in the van for days when I`m pushed for time and the pubs open.

The washer looks fine, although wouldnt hurt installing a better one if I can. Theres a tiny split in the pipe. Off to B&Q for a new fluidmaster filler, hopefully they'll do a brass extension? My mate has advised wrapping some PTFE tape on the thread before doing the nut up?

The washer looks fine, although wouldnt hurt installing a better one if I can. Theres a tiny split in the pipe. Off to B&Q for a new fluidmaster filler, hopefully they'll do a brass extension? My mate has advised wrapping some PTFE tape on the thread before doing the nut up?

PTFE tape shouldn`t be required if you use a new washer and fill valve.

Don't put ptfe tape on the threads! The threads purpose is not for sealing!
Try Screwfix for a Fluidmaster Pro 45b I think it is called. If you have a local place

Ok no PTFE tape then. Yh unfortunately I can only get to a B&Q, I'm relying on them to give me an equivalent part

Looks a bit tight against the inside of the citern for a fluidmaster, float may catch but hopefully not. Like most of us on here I fit fluidmasters if possible every time.

20160622_101331.jpg That wasn`t one of mine, I would of rotated it a little bit

Wirquin do fill valves, both in a plastic tail or a brass tail version, which have a float that doesn't protrude backwards much, plus it has the great design of having the float inside an outer shell, therefore allowing the outer piece to touch the cistern if it has to.

Just like the one in Jimmy`s photo. Admit they are handy sometimes.

Just like the one in Jimmy`s photo. Admit they are handy sometimes.

True! Same sort of design. I don't really like the Wirquin valve and it took a few times installing a few before I got used to adjusting them, but they work in very well in tight spots where a Fluidmaster would have jammed.

There's a good chance the crack was there before you touched it and was what was causing the leak. I've been to so many jobs where the plastic tail on the valve has degraded and a crack has appeared even though the pipe is properly clipped and undisturbed. If a toilet comes with a plastic tail on the inlet I bin it and use a Fluidmaster with brass shank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet feed leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there. I have a Cersanit close coupled toilet which as started leaking between the cistern and the bowl when flushed. I've taken the cistern off and this is what I see. I'm assuming the issue is with the silicon gasket (please see attached photos) but can't seem to find a replacement...
Replies
Views
Hi, The isolation valve feeding my toilet cistern was leaking. After considerable effort, I was able to lift up the cistern to put an O-ring washer around the top of the inner circle referred to with an arrow in the attached image. Unfortunately, when I let the water through, there was a burst...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Hello, Have had a leak on my UFH manifold. Originally incorrectly diagnosed as being the nuts/washer to the pump, it now looks like it's coming from this thermostatic valve. Have tried googling "ufh thermostatic valve" and none of them look like this or have connectors like this (guessing part...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, thanks for your time reading this! We have noticed a leak appearing from the built-in toilet in our main bathroom that's spreading around our floors (great start to the year!). I've removed the panel behind the flusher and can see the water inlet attaching to the Cistern is slowly...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock