Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking water inlet to Cistern in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone, thanks for your time reading this!

We have noticed a leak appearing from the built-in toilet in our main bathroom that's spreading around our floors (great start to the year!). I've removed the panel behind the flusher and can see the water inlet attaching to the Cistern is slowly dripping. Shutting off the water valve stops the leak but I wondered how easy this would be to replace/fix. I'm guessing the plastic somewhere in the connection has broken or split but want to know if shutting off the water valve will allow me to unscrew it to inspect and replace it.

I've attached a photo to show the leak and Cistern.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-01-10 at 09.11.12.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-10 at 09.11.12.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 19
Thanks Chris, I've now removed the feed at the top and there were bits of old brittle filler of some sort falling out of the plastic nut. Is it safe to add sealant or do I need to get a rubber washer in there?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-01-10 at 10.23.34.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-10 at 10.23.34.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 16
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-01-10 at 10.23.35.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-10 at 10.23.35.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 17
The 'brittle filler' is probably a previous attempt to bodge the leak. Probably means that you'll need to replace more than just the sealing ring to make a proper job of it.

Looks like the nut on the elbow is bottoming out on the nut on the tail of the fill valve, stopping it compressing the washer.

Is there another nut on the other side of the cistern that will allow more of the threaded tail to show through?

The filler may be parts of the thread on the fill valve breaking off.

Yes, I think you're right in terms of stopping the compression between the washer and the thread. I've tried giving more thread on the water inlet side but it still leaks once the toilet stops flushing and the pressure builds back up. I think as Chuck mentioned, I might need more parts to sort out the issue.

Reply to Leaking water inlet to Cistern in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Turned off water to heater removed heater water leaks water from hot water inlet.
Replies
Views
Michael Mckee
M
I have recently moved into a village house and discovered some mold on the wall behind the kitchen unit and following a closer inspection, I am concerned about the water inlet and its entry point. There is a hole in what I think is the original floor, with some loose rock etc around the water...
Replies
Views
Hi, as you can see pictured I have a stopcock without a packing gland. Over the past few days my cistern inlet was suffering from an airlock and it was hammering constantly after filling. I turned off this stopcock, drained all the pipes, turned the taps back off and then let the water back...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have to replace the flush valve and/or the washer but unfortunately it's inside the vanity unit. The only way is removing the toilet. I turned the screw on the cistern pipe to stop the water. I removed all the silicon around the toilet, now I can easily lift up the Front panel but...
Replies
Views
I have fitted this brass float valve to my toilet cistern. Obviously the inlet is the same level as the overflow pipe so it needs to be water tight. The inlet pipe is not flexible and enters the cistern at a slight angle to the side of the cistern, the washer I used is not squishy. The result...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock