Discuss Toilet feed leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Jimmy has learnt that "real tight" isn`t always the way to go but hey everyone has to learn. Had a newbie the other month wanted to use 2 pairs of grips on a 32mm plastic compression fitting.

Bloody plastic tailed fill valves are nearly always terribly brittle plastic.
I use the brass tailed valves, - even fitting one on a brand new toilet I was installing in a flat recently. The thought of the plastic tailed valve supplied with the toilet cracking and flooding the flat and others below put me off fitting it.
Those Hepworth rubber washers can be bought in 22mm also. They are obviously supposed to do hot pipework, so should be good.
Never use tap connectors with any flat washers on valves that have a taper designed for an olive though, - too sharp an edge. Brass ballvalves seem to vary, - some are flat ended tails, some are tapered. I carry spare brass tails to use for nut and olive connection, which I prefer.

Have to admit I carry 1/2" Brass tap extension pieces in the van for days when I`m pushed for time and the pubs open.

The washer looks fine, although wouldnt hurt installing a better one if I can. Theres a tiny split in the pipe. Off to B&Q for a new fluidmaster filler, hopefully they'll do a brass extension? My mate has advised wrapping some PTFE tape on the thread before doing the nut up?

The washer looks fine, although wouldnt hurt installing a better one if I can. Theres a tiny split in the pipe. Off to B&Q for a new fluidmaster filler, hopefully they'll do a brass extension? My mate has advised wrapping some PTFE tape on the thread before doing the nut up?

PTFE tape shouldn`t be required if you use a new washer and fill valve.

Don't put ptfe tape on the threads! The threads purpose is not for sealing!
Try Screwfix for a Fluidmaster Pro 45b I think it is called. If you have a local place

Ok no PTFE tape then. Yh unfortunately I can only get to a B&Q, I'm relying on them to give me an equivalent part

Looks a bit tight against the inside of the citern for a fluidmaster, float may catch but hopefully not. Like most of us on here I fit fluidmasters if possible every time.

20160622_101331.jpg That wasn`t one of mine, I would of rotated it a little bit

Wirquin do fill valves, both in a plastic tail or a brass tail version, which have a float that doesn't protrude backwards much, plus it has the great design of having the float inside an outer shell, therefore allowing the outer piece to touch the cistern if it has to.

Just like the one in Jimmy`s photo. Admit they are handy sometimes.

Just like the one in Jimmy`s photo. Admit they are handy sometimes.

True! Same sort of design. I don't really like the Wirquin valve and it took a few times installing a few before I got used to adjusting them, but they work in very well in tight spots where a Fluidmaster would have jammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet feed leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back