Currently reading:
Disconnecting a bath! How to cap off the tap supplies?

Discuss Disconnecting a bath! How to cap off the tap supplies? in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I want to cap off the supply to my bath taps before removing the bath itself.

Would I do this with a few Polyplumb stop ends? If so, is there an obvious point on each set of pipes that I should disconnect and add the stop end too, or will any work?

(I'm only an amateur DIYer, but to me it looks like:

• The hot is on Polyplumb plastic connectors with copper pipe and has it's own shut-off valve
  • Meanwhile, the cold is on a flexitail and connects to a very rusted nut
  • The gauge of the pipes appear to be different too. The hot appears to be on a wider pipe than the cold)

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20240525_221244249.jpg
    PXL_20240525_221244249.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 38
You should disconnect without creating 'blind' sections of pipe full of stagnant water. This usually means at the tee that feeds the tap that is being decommissioned.

You should disconnect without creating 'blind' sections of pipe full of stagnant water. This usually means at the tee that feeds the tap that is being decommissioned.
Hi Chuck, thanks for picking this up. That makes sense for best practice, but we'll be reconnecting it to a new bath in a month or so and - as an amateur - I can't quite tell where I'd go to for the tee.

With that in mind, would the stop ends be a good solution? Very happy to take any advice, as long as you're alright for me to come back with clarifying questions!

If you are capping short term, you could isolate the hot with the valve and cap the cold where the flexi joins. (Cut the olive or keep it depending on your capping method) or you could cap near the tee.

So thanks to you both, this weekend my partner and I removed the old bath. We also took each pipe down to where we felt confident to and fitted Speedfit stop ends.

Neither valve was left turned off and so - if I understand correctly - we shouldn't have to worry about stagnant water either.

If there's anything obvious I've missed though, please feel free to say.

(In the meantime, we still think we might get a professional plumber in to tidy up some of the pipework as elsewhere it looks a little questionable!)

Thanks again for your help and expertise. Have a great week.

Attachments

• PXL_20240602_174458909.jpg
    PXL_20240602_174458909.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
So thanks to you both, this weekend my partner and I removed the old bath. We also took each pipe down to where we felt confident to and fitted Speedfit stop ends.

Neither valve was left turned off and so - if I understand correctly - we shouldn't have to worry about stagnant water either.

If there's anything obvious I've missed though, please feel free to say.

(In the meantime, we still think we might get a professional plumber in to tidy up some of the pipework as elsewhere it looks a little questionable!)

Thanks again for your help and expertise. Have a great week.
No problem. You could do a bit of tidying up once the new taps are in place. The stagnant water issue normally applies when a tee is blanked off, leaving a foot or two of 'dead' pipe where the water doesn't flow. In your case it won't apply, unless you decided to leave the blanked off ends, e.g when decommissioning a bathroom for some other purpose. Good luck with the project.

No problem. You could do a bit of tidying up once the new taps are in place. The stagnant water issue normally applies when a tee is blanked off, leaving a foot or two of 'dead' pipe where the water doesn't flow. In your case it won't apply, unless you decided to leave the blanked off ends, e.g when decommissioning a bathroom for some other purpose. Good luck with the project.
Great advice, and I really appreciate it. Thanks again!

Reply to Disconnecting a bath! How to cap off the tap supplies? in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock