Search the forum,

Discuss Stuck immersion heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

md68

Hi

Do any of you good people have any tips on how to remove a really stubborn immersion element?

Yhea I am sure it's the immersion. I am getting to the stage where I will just tell the customer they need to buy a new tank as I have tried everything that I can think of to get the little blighter out.

I had to change a cylinder because I couldn't shift the heater. I told the customer and invited them to have a go. Then they suggested changing it. When I got the cylinder outside, for curiosity's sake I had another go with a hammer then tried wrenching it with a gorilla bar and ended up twisting the whole cylinder and it still wouldn't shift.

If it's a good 10 years+ old (preferably 20 or so) then don't fret as they've had their monies worth. If the heater's gone it's not too long for the cylinder to go then.

I don't put them in too tight either because if they fail a few months down the road it's going to be me who's got to change it!!

Stubborn immersions can be shifted by:-
1. Leave the cylinder full of water that makes it stronger and it is less likely to deform
2. Use a proper immersion spanner and then give it a good sharp hit in the right direction with a lump hammer.

BUT have the drain off hose ready attached incase it does crimp.

centralheatking

Drain a bit of water out of it and use your blow lamp on it.

Ive learnt this the hard way I was never aware that you could just get the stat for an immersion, 9 times out of ten its just the stat

Ive learnt this the hard way I was never aware that you could just get the stat for an immersion, 9 times out of ten its just the stat

I've tried this twice and had to return to buy the whole thing! Perhaps it depends on the age of the immersion or something like that.

I've had many a headache with stubborn immesion heaters. i losen it a bit while still full or while its draining down. ive got a couple of custom made immersion keys with an old box key with a 3ft or 5ft steel pipe for more leverage.

I've had many a headache with stubborn immesion heaters. i losen it a bit while still full or while its draining down. ive got a couple of custom made immersion keys with an old box key with a 3ft or 5ft steel pipe for more leverage.

cant understand why they dont sell longer tommy bars for box spanners, the ones they supply are useless

tend to agree with blackcatgas older immersions always seem to be installed using boss white which is great for sealing but a pig to undo so drain out a little water and apply heat
dont forget to keep some water or an extinguisher handy dusty/fluffy places immersion cupboards good luck and let us know how you get on:)regards turnpin

the cast iron type spanners are best you can tap it with the club hammer failing that heat in 37 years ive only folded one cylinder and that was ancient with red lead on the join

A bit heat and a set of 18" stilsons will move most. but you could probably get it out with a hammer and screwdriver;)

As said, only drain a few pints out of it.

See my post in hints and tips. Bit of a mess on but works every time. Make sure the customer is paying you by the hour and remind them that a new cylinder is much more expensive!

I agree with cenralheatking. Use a lever ring spanner and give it a sharp fine wack on the lever with hammer. Its difficult to say how hard, an experience thing, 99 times out of 100 works no problem. Year ago I would have heated it up with a blow torch, only problem is your likely to reck the foam insulation on mordern day vessels. So if i have to do one its the first option.

I use a pair of 18" stilsons on my immersion spanner. If that doesn't move it, nothing will.

Changed a leaking cylinder last week. Tried to get the immersion out and couldn't. Thats the first time I have ever been beaten by one. Sometimes they're just stuck!

Wheps tip of cutting it out will work but comes with risks of ruining the cylinder if you cock it up.

I would have to heat it up with a blow torch, only problem is your likely to wreck the foam insulation on modern day vessels. So if i have to do one its the first option.

Is that out of badness just because you can:D:D

Sorry to edit your post there Steve....couldn't resist it;)

A bit seriousness here.
If it won't move shock it by hitting it (or set it on fire:D)

Just as well i'm snowed in:D:D

You have to get mean when the fxxker wont move. Did you sense the angry bit. Tamz can you teach me some anger management on how to remove an immersion gently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stuck immersion heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock