Discuss stopcock is leaking at the handle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alexclark

we have a hot water tap in the bathroom that was leaking so i closed the stopcock in the airing cupboard (it was on a 28mm pipe - feed to the cylinder) and let the excess water drain out, fixed the tap and opened the stopcock again....now there is a small leak coming from the handle of the stopcock....any suggestions?

Normally a gate valve on feed to cylinder! If the stopcock is leaking from the small nut behind the handle it will need the gland re-packing.
To be fair you say in another thread that you are a newly qualified plumber? If the stop-cock needs re-packing this is really basic stuff.
Are you a fast track plumber?

Haha, i wouldnt of posted if it was just repacking the gland and also im just as confused as you are as to why the plumbers who installed this system would put a stopcock in place of a gatevalve (and to be honest if it were me i'd put a leaver valve in anyway)

i guess should be more specific,

the tiny leak has come because i closed the valve im guessing because it has probably never been touched in 15 years i may have damaged the fitting when i closed it, its probably a replacement jobby.

Deleted comment

It was the right answer but to the wrong question - posted within seconds of Alex's post!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tighten gland packing nut, simple, should not need to replace as this is common (people just don't look after the things, supposed to turn them every so often)

It wories me that the original poster is passing himself off as a Plumber if he needs to come on a forum and ask about repacking a gate valve or stopcock. We all started somewhere but if you have to ask this you shouldn't be trading it will end in tears quickly.

ive looked into it and its not the packing gland, ill replace it tomorrow shouldnt be too long...i can actually see the problems after further inspection..ive acually sheered of some of the body.....if only it was the 99% of all cases...oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to stopcock is leaking at the handle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock