Discuss Shower/Mains pressure - Advice pls...? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

W0ZZA1

Hi All,

I have an ongoing problem with my hot water shower pressure.

My hot water comes from a combi water heater. Originally I thought I had an issue with the shower valve inlets getting blocked with limescale from the combi boiler (the combi is around 5-6 years and a bit scaley) which was causing a block and low water pressure, causing the boiler not to fire and heat the water. I had a plumber round few times to take the shower valve off, clean it descale it and but it back on. This seemed to do the trick each time!

A couple of days ago (2 weeks from when the plumber was last round) the hot pressure dropped to such a level (again) that the boiler stopped firing when using the shower, so this time I thought I'd have a go at taking the valve off myself and cleaning/descaling it. So I turned the mains/stop tap off fully (stop tap very stiff by the way), turned all bathroom sink taps and shower fully on to make sure it had definately turned off and then attempted to take the valve off. Well....I couldn't get the shower valve off as it was just to tight so I gave up. I turned the stop tap back on, tested the shower again and guess what the water came flying out, bolier fired straight up and water got lovely and hot!!!

So now I'm thinking that maybe its not a problem with the shower valve at all but to do with the stop tap/cock or an air lock maybe....?

Has any one every come across this before. What could the issue be?

I'm pretty sure the pressue will drop again in another couple of weeks, if it does I'll try turning the stopcock off and again as this seems to have worked.

Please can anyone shed any light...?

Thanks

sounds like you need to get the stopcock replaced probably the washer sticking or come loose inside.

sounds like you need to get the stopcock replaced probably the washer sticking or come loose inside.

Thanks Steve... how difficult is it to do this generally? The stopcock is really difficult to get to, its tucked away behind a flap in a little linen cupboard...

Could be the washer sticking or loose although, the pressure doesn't seem to be effected on other hot water taps....? Any other ideas?

I suppose it could have been an air lock

It wont hurt to change the stop tap though

Its only a bit of pipe work if you want it mover a bit rather than resited

Whats the make and model of shower valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower/Mains pressure - Advice pls...? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’ve lost the pressure from the outside tap. It was working fine. I have checked the washer on the outside tap and the inside stop valve seen in...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that...
Replies
Views
i can't tell if my shower tap (cock stop) is leaking or not ...............so after showering, the shower head will drip fast for 2 hours, then...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock