Discuss Shared mains water supply? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yamaha

I moved into a property nearly 4 years ago (a new build then) and have only recently discovered that my neighbour has developed a water mains leak under her house. I have since discovered that this is a shared water supply, and I, now need to get an independant water supply to my house. My question is, am I responsible for the plumbing costs within my property as well as the costs to the water board, or can I claim through an appropriate insurer?

Thanks uk plumbers for any help in advance.

As a rule your water board is responsible for any leaks, repairs up until the rising main which is normally located outside your house on the pavement or drive. From that point onwards ( into your house) you are responsible for all repairs.

I doubt you can claim through an insurer but a quick phone call to them will clarify this.

Thanks for your reply Darryl, I am fairly cheesed off at the moment, as someone in the local planning dept, or whoever, has signed this off as being acceptable. I suppose, all I was just looking for was a way round this, and to blame or indeed share the costs with another party, ie planning dept. Thanks anyway.

Gav

thanks for your reply darryl, i am fairly cheesed off at the moment, as someone in the local planning dept, or whoever, has signed this off as being acceptable. I suppose, all i was just looking for was a way round this, and to blame or indeed share the costs with another party, ie planning dept. Thanks anyway.

Gav
if your a family id leave it alone that way you cant have a meter

If the property was a new build 4 years ago chances are there is a meter

Do not know the in's and outs but am surprised you have a shared mains in such a recent build

Is the other house a new build also,or older,original,if this the case ,would have thought down to you and maybe an issue with builder/builder insurer

If both new builds,would have thought,any separate main to you would be a joint cost between you and your neighbour at least,as at present, you both are using each others main supply,unless main registered with neighbour only,have you been paying water rates,if so this is not the case
Then also take up with builder or builder insurer

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
done same type of job recently, burst lead water main in house, also supplying next door via property with leak. insurance said they would pay half and the neighbour paying the the other half. water board will waste your time and give you the run around. one problem, tell a plumber that one half of his bill will be paid but maybe not the other half will prob chase them down the path. i qouted high to the insurer to cover potential non payment, then would be on bonus if i got paid the rest.

been to a property which had 2 incoming mains into property supplying different services within house and yes did get wet when cut into second without knowing. water board only new of one.

Agree with puddle.

It does sound strange that a 4 year old property is on a shared water main.

However I should imagine, if the other property if older, had a water main before the new house was built and all the new house has done is branch into it.

Then the cost should be shared if the leak is before the branch i.e on the shared part of the main and the individual houses cost if its after the branch on the individual supply branch pipe.

Hi. It is likley that the shared supply was arranged to avoid the infrastructure charge for a new connection to the water main. (Can be in the reign of £1500) If built to NHBC compliance its worth checking out there policy for this occurrence. As for insurance, i have found the repairs to pipes will not be meet but reinstatement of the parts of the building that are effected often are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shared mains water supply? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock