Search the forum,

Discuss Servicing unvented cylinders in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baldyb220

Hi all just wondering what people are charging these days to service unvented cylinders? May have one to do for a management company of retirement apartments so want to give them a price? Cheers

Hello baldy,
I think a lot of engineers are charging hourly rates but maybe someone will give a better answer which is more in detail

dont have a price for servicing them so would probably just charge hourly rate plus any parts req. (as steated in previous post)

I do a few , but because they are done every year , its very rare theres any problems so they arent to bad to price, if they are local ish to me ÂŁ45, if I have a lot of travelling to do it goes up accordingly

ÂŁ45 if close and been before. From ÂŁ60 for a new cust plus anything more than a 15 min drive.

Not paying for the work, paying for the knowledge.

Oh yes & trying to get around in London….. you might only be able to do 2 or 3 a day.

Not paying for the work, paying for the knowledge.

That's a good saying... I often think in this crazy plumbing game that some jobs due to technical nature etc or whatever that by just charging for the 1st hour is kind of undercharging myself, but charging more I feel customers will think I'm ripping them off because I was able to do this work quickly etc..!? Other people must have this a lot too?

That's a good saying... I often think in this crazy plumbing game that some jobs due to technical nature etc or whatever that by just charging for the 1st hour is kind of undercharging myself, but charging more I feel customers will think I'm ripping them off because I was able to do this work quickly etc..!? Other people must have this a lot too?

Just about every day of the week mate I hear "How much? You`ve only been here 45 minutes!"

Just about every day of the week mate I hear "How much? You`ve only been here 45 minutes!"

Yes that's what I'm afraid of... Do guys actually use the " your not paying for my time your paying for the knowledge??" with customers?

Yes that's what I'm afraid of... Do guys actually use the " your not paying for my time your paying for the knowledge??" with customers?

Not in so many words I don`t unless I know somebody else has had a go and failed then yes I will say something along those lines.

Here`s an example from today done by a local guy known to me as we drink in the same pub.

This was my first ever visit to the house, I took one look at this and out loud said "WTF" in front of the young couple (could help it). Took me under an hour to check it over as working ok and it didn`t have gaffa tape holding it together when I left !!! Still got the "How much" though.

20160422_125028.jpg

It comes from that old joke
"Plumber is called to problem on a heating system, he is confronted by a mass of pipes, he looks carefully at it all for a while before picking up a pair of Stilsons and smacking one of the pipes, the system springs back to life.
Thats fantastic the customer standing behind him says, heat at last, how much do I owe you?

Plumber says ÂŁ125 notes please.

Customer says how much!!! ÂŁ125 you have only been here 15mins & had to hit one pipe.

Plumbers response it is ÂŁ25 to hit the pipe, the extra oner is for knowing which one to hit".

A fact often forgotten by customers & plumbers alike.

Maybe if we broke it down like that ever time more people would understand that what the trade is about.

Last edited:
Nipped out at lunchtime yesterday, boiler locked out. Reset it, rattle rattle. Pump off new dog drive. Pump on and away it goes. It was two miles from where I was working and wasnt there 5 minutes. ÂŁ50. He paid ÂŁ60.

Charging more I feel customers will think I'm ripping them off because I was able to do this work quickly

There's your dilemma....

You feel you are ripping off the customers by charging more!!!

Have a stab at charging customers more on jobs for the next month or so.
By then, you yourself, will feel it to be a normal price to charge.

Either test the water by dipping you toe in and creep in, or assume the water is cold and just take the plunge.
If you take the plunge then you will be acclimatised much quicker.

Don't work too fast. Customers will tend to think you have been less time than you actually have, so better to work a little slower and appear to be very meticulous. This will loose you an extra 20 minutes of your time, but if you charge for it, why worry?
Spending 45 minutes doing their job will not seem to justify your hourly rate plus time travel, so best to make it over an hour on their job.

Spending 45 minutes doing their job will not seem to justify your hourly rate plus time travel, so best to make it over an hour on their job.

Wow - I know that this trade can be complicated at times, but quantum physics for plumbers, now thats a C&G qualification I haven't heard of :)

Wow - I know that this trade can be complicated at times, but quantum physics for plumbers, now thats a C&G qualification I haven't heard of :)

Well we plumbers do use flux for soldering, and capacitors for motors, so no problem to time travel if you have a flux capacitor. :smile:

Problem is that the customers know all about their problem before you arrive as they've been reading through a plumbers forum - so theyre no longer paying for your knowledge!

Problem is that the customers know all about their problem before you arrive as they've been reading through a plumbers forum - so theyre no longer paying for your knowledge!

If they told me they knew what was wrong and how to fix it, I'd have to say "why did you even call me then?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Servicing unvented cylinders in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi All, what's the cost of a service for an unvented system ? (valiant boiler & mega flow cylinder). I was charged ÂŁ320.00, for the following: Boiler service - no parts changed. Change wireless thermostat (honeywell to Tado), I supplied the thermostat starter kit. is that about correct ? Also...
Replies
Views
Hi all, need someone to do my annual gas service and issue me a domestic gas safety certificate. In addition the megaflow cylinder needs checking and anti corrosion electrode replacement (have the part). In addition some of the honeywell motorised valves need replacement.
Replies
Views
Hi all, need someone to do my annual gas service and issue me a domestic gas safety certificate. In addition the megaflow cylinder needs checking and anti corrosion electrode replacement (have the part). In addition some of the honeywell motorised valves need replacement.
Replies
Views
Hi guys, just want to get advice, i want to replace venten to unvented cylinder, is it ok to install D2 pipe to toilet waste pipe see picture? as there is no easy options to get it outside.
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock