Search the forum,

Discuss Power shower and a single Grundfos Booster Pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GeoPlumbing

Hello
I am a plumber and I have come across a problem that I need confirmation form someone out there that I am giving the right advice. Firstly I'm no newbie I've been doing plumbing for a very long time, but the good thing about the domestic plumbing is that you always come across something new to learn.
So here's the Problem:
A Vented Hot water cylinder with a cold water storage tank above it inside a cupboard of a one bedroom flat... all new.
The previous plumbers installed a 22mm single Grundfos Home Booster pump (PC: 1048) on the hot water services for the whole flat, on outlet of the hot water cylinder,approx 300mm away from the cylinder. This pump should be 2 meter after the cold water tank outlet and installed before the hot water cylinder.

Also there is an Aquastream power shower (has a built-in Pump) in the bathroom, connect to the same hot water services as the booster pump... therefore when you turn the power shower on, the booster pump also comes on.... therefore you have two pumps working simultaneously.

This is the tricky part... non of the other taps will allow hot water through unless you go to the bathroom and open the hot water on the Bath tap and there is always air in the system.

I think it is due to:
  • Two pumps on the same system causing conflict with each other
  • The booster pump being installed in the wrong place
  • The Plumber did no install a AA vent in the hot water services

My suggestion are simple:
  1. To replace the Home booster with a twin Negative booster pump (for hot and cold) and remove the power shower and install a Therm Shower mixer.
  2. Remove the booster pump... not sure if the kitchen tap will receive hot water with gravity feed.
  3. Remove all of it and install an Unvented cylinder or combi boiler- Not Gonna happen! :cry_smile:

May thanks in advance for reading this... Any Help is good help

Leigh

fitting the double impellar pump to the hot and cold for the shower and putting a thermostatic valve in seems most plausable

Sounds like it could be a piping issue.
Keep the aqua stream as its a good shower IMO but make sure it's piped up right with its own feeds from hwc and cwst and keep the grunfos booster just to supply the other hot outlets, it might mean some repiping work.
Pif you cam post a photo of the set up it would be helpful

Sounds like it could be a piping issue.
Keep the aqua stream as its a good shower IMO but make sure it's piped up right with its own feeds from hwc and cwst and keep the grunfos booster just to supply the other hot outlets, it might mean some repiping work.
Pif you cam post a photo of the set up it would be helpful

The pipe go beneath the floor boards... so yea I did think of that although this would be very costly. thank you for agreeing that having 2 pumps on the same system is wrong.

how big is the cwst? oh and welcome to the forums leigh
Hello
Firstly thank you
Both services are 22mm " The previous plumbers installed a 22mm single Grundfos Home Booster pump (PC: 1048) on the hot water services for the whole flat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Power shower and a single Grundfos Booster Pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am currently using a Grundfos Booster Pump. This pump is fed by 2pcs of 1,000 liters water tank. Normally the pump would stop working only when there is no water in the water tank. But, recently for the past week, in the middle of the night, the pump would stop working even though the...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater systems in the house. This boiler was replaced by a combi boiler as it only heats the lounge and master bed and provides hot water to en-suite bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Background I have a small one-bedroom flat in the roof space in a victorian house. There are three floors below and each floor has a single one-bedroom flat. The mains pipe bringing water into my top-floor flat is 15mm copper pipe. There is a water meter in the flat and a stop valve. There is...
Replies
Views
Hi and thanks for the welcome to the forum. I am a DIYer and need to take off and reinstall my Aqualisa Aquastream to remove the tiles before putting splash boards up. The question I need to ask is will the shower pull off of the hot and cold water supply or is there a technique like with a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock