Search the forum,

Discuss oil boilers do i need qualifications or registration in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

heatman

i know with gas work we must have ACS qualifications and GASSAFE
but to work on oil boilers do i need qualifications and do i need to be part of any registration body?

nope not at the moment - but most people look for oftec reg when looking for someone to work on a boiler - and my guess is - soon it will be a requirement to be oftec reg.

qplumb, wheres that from? iwas reliably informed by my trainer i had to be qualified and oftec registered - just to have my governing body, are you saying thats not right?
another waste of 700quid ? on all my forms cd10,t1's etc i have to put in my oftec reg number, on manufacturers instalation instructions i am asked to fill in these forms therefore if i cant complete the forms im not complying to instructions ?

what about just doing repairs ? with no filling out manufacturers literature ?? i have had 3 calls over last week if i repair these !

true, but you still need to fill out the oiltank/fire assesment paperwork

from what i gather - if you are oftec registered then you can be prosecuted for bad workmanship e.g for the boiler to be signed off you have to give your oftec number, but if you install a boiler you cannot legally be prosecuted as there are no regs in place - so your worse off if you do something incompetent if your reg with oftec than you are if your not.

look this up though migo - as i am not oftec reg but my boss has installed oil boilers that have not been signed off as there isnt a requirement the same as gas and this was his and another bloke who was oftecs view on things ???

gonna do it on monday, if what you say is even slightly true, id be better off to un register. will post in a couple of days as i wont have time monday

no worrys matey let me know what you fond cos if its not true then my boss and loads others i know are breaking the law.

There was a court case a few years back and the guy won. Meaning you only need oftec to install/commission new.

If you have no oftec there are ways around it.

New installs u can have building control have a look at it.

Servicing requires you to be competent, little bit grey but after the court case u don't have to have oftec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simonjohns is right if you install and you are not oftec you contravene buildingregs and they can prosecute you, you can apply for planning and pay the appropriate fee.

nope not at the moment - but most people look for oftec reg when looking for someone to work on a boiler - and my guess is - soon it will be a requirement to be oftec reg.

WRONG - and it never will be as the installation, replacement, and servicing of oil fired boilers does not have the backing of the health and safety inspectorate - unlike the legislation in regards to gas boilers

someone is on the oftec warpath... even necrobumping old threads to hammer the point home :D

someone is on the oftec warpath... even necrobumping old threads to hammer the point home :D

It would seem this stems from his mate Tom supposedly being prosecuted 3 1/2 years
ago for fitting an oil boiler. Has even dragged up 6year old threads in the past as part of his argument.

His wife is a lawyer so he must be right!

Why the 3 1/2 year wait though is anybody's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to oil boilers do i need qualifications or registration in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock