Discuss Noisy Tap Head Scratcher in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Went to a job 6 weeks ago. Very noisy hot tap (bathroom basin, combi.) No other taps making noise. Noise was pretty immense. Very deep, very loud, growling reverberation along pipe when tap beging used. Difficult to pin-point source of sound by listening as it seemed to manifest mainly under bath but logical conclusion was the tap at fault.

Now this is interesting...Chap said they'd had this problem before and a plumber changed over their taps. Then after a while it came back. That plumber never came back.

I opened up the tap and it all looked fine. Gave it a clean. Put it back together and ran it and the noise had gone. Told them I couldn't see much point in me doing anything else since it was working for time being. They called me back a few days later as it had started again.

I told them I'm swap the valves over from hot to cold (not sure if those bits are called valves, i forget, the piece you can remove that screws into the body and has a washer on the bottom end) ....and then see if a) the noise moved to cold b) the noise stayed on hot or c) it went away. Again it went away. This time a month has past. It's back. It's back on the hot again. So what to do?

Since it's only that tap that makes noise and since tinkering with it makes the noise go away for a while it must just be the tap right? But the whole tap has been changed before and the only thing I've not changed on it is the tap body itself (the base with spout.) Thoughts?:confused:

Hi -

it's the hot tap side of the kitchen mixer tap - nowhere else, and it is a vibration in the tap.

I have a Worcester 28i combi system.

I've taken it apart again and the internal screw mechanism does seem very slack. Maybe I just need some tap revivers?

Could just be a loose washer or worn washer

take the valve out and take it to a plumbers merchant to see if they have the washer

Or if you can find a manufacturer of the tap try contacting them

yes, I tried swapping them over, and it makes a difference. Trouble is, the cold tap then sticks, for some reason.

Since I started asking about this, I have more or less become convinced it is down to a worn internal thread in the hot tap valve. As you say, might as well get new taps. Are there any tap revivers you'd recommend?

Thanks for the help.

try the manufacturer of the tap for a new valve as by swapping them over you have proven that this is the part at fault

I think Deva do a universal Tap reviver kit if you want to try that route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noisy Tap Head Scratcher in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock