Search the forum,

Discuss Daily pressure / top up. Combi Logic. help in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

S

SteveRPX1010

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts? Combi Logic 30 Boiler - constant pressure loss - no obvious leaking.

Few years ago we got an error code indicating pressure was below minimum. We resolved ourselves by using the manual and topping up per the guide. Sometime later, in some really cold weather, we had another issue (forget the code now) and since we couldn't' fix via the manual, we called a plumber who resolved but also did a general service. He said it hadn’t been served for some time (we’d been in the house 18 months and it was our first time). We believe we noticed an improvement - felt like it wasn't has noisy, heating was faster etc...

However, over the months we starting to notice that we were having to top up again. Summer came around again and with the heating off we noticed no pressure drops. Winter came, heating back on - and occasional top up needed.

We called a different plumber, who did a service, and replaced a few parts which he thought was most likely causing the pressure drop. Over the months we found no improvements, and in fact it felt like we topped up MORE frequently. Called same plumber back - he rechecked everything, claimed it was 100% not the boiler and more likely leaky pipework around the house. He therefore put some solution in the radiator system which would 'find' and fix any small leaks, but would take several weeks to work. After a few weeks, no improvement - in fact we were definitely getting worse to the point of top up every other day.

Then the seasonal changes came meant the heating went off and things went back to normal with no need for any top ups

….today we have to top up the boiler on a DAILY basis. Still no water, damp or signs as to where we may leak - but it's now a real concern. Oddly - maybe this gives a hint, but we find water is very hot in downstairs taps, but the bath is lukewarm (to he point we can fill the bath for the kids using just hot tap alone, and for it to be just about warm enough ).

I’m reluctant to phone another plumber immediately as for each occasion over the course of a few years, we’ve paid out for lots of different solutions…none of which have worked, and we're actually way worse off. Granted this might be a time thing, or might simply be a more efficient (serviced/newer parts) boiler makes the effect worse...but I dunno anymore.

We are in discussions atm about possible extension, nothing signed or agreed yet - but I can't even think about spending that kinda cash without finding our existing fault. For all I know I might have to rip out half the house to just FIND the leak !!.

So — I’m trying to find any hints/tips or suggestions on what to do? Is there a tool / trick / method to hunting down such leaks without having to pull all floors up (and maybe causing damage etc) - is the hot water upstairs but lukewarm upstairs some kind of common issue (alongside constantly dropping pressure).

Is the lukewarm upstairs water some common sign, is there some trick of isolating radiators etc that help narrow down the room where we might be leaking?

Lukewarm water could be a thermostatic mixing valve depending on when your property was built. The pressure loss sounds like an expansion issue - is there a gauge in the boiler? If yes put the heating on and see if the gauge rises quite a bit.

Thanks - our property was built around 1937 from what I remember.
There is a gauge in the boiler, and I have observed that when its off (with the F1 code and low reading) then when I top up as soon as we get 'enough' the system will kick into life, and at that point there is a noticeable jump on the gauge.

There were issues with failing heat exchangers on these a few years back ? the tell tale sign is a constant drip or leakage from the condense pipe it will look quite dirty and grubby if it has pin holed , normally this would be clean any engineer worth his salt shoul be able to diagnose that issue ? Kop

Reply to Daily pressure / top up. Combi Logic. help in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone help me identify which tap/connection it is to top up the system as the level has dropped quite a way below the red marker for the cold fill pressure on the gauge? Boiler was installed approx. 2014. I've looked in the manual & online but can't find anything. Many thanks
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also have an UFH zone in the kitchen. Near the boiler I have 2 port valves which control this part of the system. The boiler has been loosing pressure...
Replies
Views
F
Hi, We have a new Ideal Logic Combi 30. A radiator today came off the wall and developed a leak. Plumber came and fixed (but didn't). At that time the boiler was fine. Today the boiler has lost pressure. I have followed the videos on yt and nothing works. Just stays telling me F1. I have...
Replies
Views
FrankMcg
F
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals. We've been in our house for over 3 years now, when we moved in the hot water pressure was pretty good (confirmed by a retired plumber family friend)...
Replies
Views
Hi all not a plumber but am an engineer I have pressure drop in the system Worcester Bosch came back after repressureising the expansion vessel and he replaced the heat exchanger element. The boiler is coming up for 15 years old. The boiler was going below one bar and not increasing when...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock