Discuss Need a plumber to do a quick attic ballcock job - Liverpool in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
No just leave as is plumbers mate or anything else around the outside of the pipe joints will not do anything :49:

DKIA had everything you need to do covered,explained so well,I might have a go at changing mine later

Pleased you got all sorted

Thanks for the appreciation Robbieh and, hoping not to sound patronising, well done!

Job's a goodun'!!!

Sorry to bump this thread. Everything seemed to be okay, however yesterday I was running the hot kitchen tap when there was an almighty vibration that continued for a short while after switching the tap off. I narrowed it down to the hot water pipe by the cylinder, and it seems to vibrate under the floorboards too. It is so loud at first I thought it was a helicopter over the house. Now it happens everytime I run the hot tap. If I run the cold tap it will stop until I switch off the cold tap, and if I run the hot and cold tap at the same time, and switch the hot tap off first, then it will not happen.

I've done a bit of googling and I'm guessing its water hammer?? I tried switching off the mains, running the hot kitchen tap empty, then slowly opened the main supply again (not all the way though) while the hot tap was still open, and waited for the splutter to subside. But its still happening.

Any ideas? Could it have been my changing the ball valve that has caused it? If so why now, a few weeks later?

If its at all relevent, dynorod were in the street a few days ago as there were some blocked drains, and I'm pretty sure they, or someone, was also messing with the brick water supply building thingy (I'm sure you know exactly what I mean), as I saw a few men in there. (Its in my estate by a central grassy bit, fenced off).

Thanks in advance fellas.

(Sorry if I should have posted a new thread, I posted here in case it was relevant to the ball valve issue)

When you changed the ballcock last time was it on the hot water supply tank or the smaller central heating tank? Sounds like the washer in the H/W tank is oscillating due to wear or a bit of crap in the seat.

It was in the hot water supply tank mate. I replaced the whole ball valve with a brand new one. I gave the supply pipe a clean and tightened all the nuts correctly. Whats the best way to rectify it? Is the vibration originating near the ball valve then, and resonating all over the house?

You can eliminate this by pressing down on the ball valve (so it starts filling the tank). If the water makes the hammer noise you know that's the fault (and faulty part). If not then it's something else. Why not give it a quick try?

I cant get in the attic just now, I'll try asap and let you know. cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need a plumber to do a quick attic ballcock job - Liverpool in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi to you all, I only registered last night and this is my first post. I hope someone can come up with a solution as I'm at a loss with my...
Replies
Views
L
B
Hi there this is probably one of those posts which will have all of you experts scratching your heads thinking 'we've got a right one here' but...
Replies
Views
Bluesman
B
Most of you who build or maintain your own websites will be aware how difficult it can be to find decent images around the web which are not...
Replies
Views
T
Z
Hi everyone... I'm brand new to the forum, and tbh I don't really understand the layout of the posts. I've searched on here for answers the the...
Replies
Views
REDSAW
R
1st one at 1:30 - low pressure at all outlets after main stop tap used. Nice and easy eh? Obviously the plate that holds the washer in the stop...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock