Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion heater bubbling into expansion tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zealousdp

Hi everyone...

I'm brand new to the forum, and tbh I don't really understand the layout of the posts. I've searched on here for answers the the problem I have, which though very similar, did not answer my particular situation. So here's my story...(sorry its so long!) I hope I'm posting this in

I've posted this on DIYnot.com as well as I need this sorted asap. There are pictures included in that post that help give a better idea of the current setup but I can't put the link because I'm a new member - it's here diynot.com/forums/plumbing/immersion-heater-bubbling-into-expansion-tank.355067/#2675669 if you put the relevant world wide web in front.

A couple days ago my mother phoned me late in the evening to say her small tank in the loft is going crazy, and was bubbling over and overflowing to the outside of the house through the overflow pipe for around half an hour.

She has a gas boiler downstairs, and an immersion water tank upstairs.

She says that if she turns the hot water on (via the control panel pictured) and doesn't turn it off after around 15mins, then the small tank "bubbles over". I noticed that the ball had split in 2, and the tank is warped - due to boiling water this time or last time several months ago. I've changed the ball, reduced the standing water in the tank to around 4 inches (it was at the overflow level before, and the ball valve arm had not been bent to only receive a few inches, bnut rather let the cold water be near the max capacity!).

I got her to turn the hot water on via control panel and indeed after about 15 mins the small tank was receiving hot water. So switched it off and haven't used it since.

The water out of the bathroom hot tap was NOT scolding or boiling...although hot enough for a shower I guess.

I THINK I understand that the small tank is supposed to receive a small amount of hot water, and the contents expand somewhat due to warmth. But, I don't understand why it happens so quickly and without fail come 15 mins of turning hot water on.

Although the immersion tank has a plug for the top (thermostat??) she doesn't plug it in.

Everything was working fine until some time back when the immersion failed for one reason or another. A certified plumber came round and decided the red pump (??) pictured needed changing...which he did and though water was restored, its never been the same. Not that it or he caused the problem, or did anything wrong, its just how my mother retells the story. Money is VERY tight for her and i'm trying to help her out using a bit of help from you and common sense and general (decent and to good standard) DIY skills.

The large tank seems unaffected. And when the heating is on this prob;em does not happen - just a small spit of water into the small tank when switching from heating to hot water on the control panel. The major incident the other night happened after having the heating on for ages (large old house needing a lot of heat!) and then leaving the hot water turned on.

The immersion is on the low pressure system (if I even needed to say that!). Am I correct in thinking that the front (honeywell) thermostat is the OLD kind and definately needs changing regardless of the above problem, so that the auto cut off works and can be reset (hope I phrased that right).

I'm on this forum as I'd like some advice before (if at all) calling out a plumber to investigate. If its a "simple" change the 1 or 2 thermostats, then a relative is an electrician and could probably safely do that once I buy the parts. Please advise what parts to change and what for if possible.

I hope I've covered everything to give a clear picture of the setup, what's happening, and my currently level of understanding.

I welcome helpful comments, please no trolling (which will be ignored) or badminded personal remarks.

You 'really' need a plumber to attend. If it is boiling over and warping the f+e tank then turn it off and leave it off till somebody qualified has a look..Sorry but thats the best advice i can give.

the vent pipe will vent when pressures get really high or very hot the water expands and vents into the tank could be the boiler itself

I agree with the two previous posts, sounds like boiler running much too hot.
If the feed and expansion ruptures you could have scalding water through the ceiling (then lots' of cold water).
Definitely turn off and call an engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Immersion heater bubbling into expansion tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've recently replaced an immersion heater for a direct cylinder, for 2.75-3kW. The new one seemed to be working a week before I got a callback. I checked the resistance of the immersion heater, and it read 19ohms, and the voltage on the live and neutral read 230V, but there was no humming or...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
I have read of hot water cylinders being heated with a dual element immersion heater. The main principle being that a shorter element heats the top of the tank and then, subsequently, a longer element comes into play. With a bath/sink switch the longer element may be disabled. The topic of such...
Replies
Views
W
Hi all. So I have an OSO Super SXD 180 immersion heater and it is pouring a huge amount of water out of the cold water pressure relief valve regardless of whether the tank is heating or not. We're talking litres a minute currently. I have replaced the valve which changed nothing. I have...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a tank Bradford White 50 gallon gas hot water heater for a 1700 sq ft home with 2 1/2 baths, HOWEVER, I am only one person living there. It was installed in March of 2015 so it is 8 years old. I believe life expectancy for a typical hot water heater is around 10 - 12 years so I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock