Discuss Need a plumber to do a quick attic ballcock job - Liverpool in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was expecting between £40-60.

I have a couple of q's:

The ball valve in the tank is a lot longer than the Part II - does that matter? I shouldnt imagine coz the float will close it regardless, just thought I'd check.

If I was to get pump pliers, what exactly would I do with them?

cheers :)

The ball valve should be fine.

The pump pliers would be used to hold the ball valve to stop it turning.

In my "instructions" I dwelt on the tightening of the nuts in a specific order and you can to this instead of using the pump pliers.

If you had Mecanno when young you'll find this job a doddle - honest!!

The worst bit is turning the water off and hoping the pipe doesn't dribble constantly (making you have to work quicker!) If this is the case, you can try opening the kitchen tap when the stop tap is off as the dribble will usually come out of that instead of the pipe upstairs. I digress ...!

Or you could just fit one of these
31694.jpg

or these, depending on what ballvalve you have

74055.jpg

If your still nervous about doin it give us a shout im in liverpool if you like!

Done and dusted. It was a lot easier than I expected. :)

Thanks for all the help and offers of help, especially to dontknowitall - I wouldnt have even tackled it without your help and advice. I owe you a pint, cheers mate.

I'm glad you got it sorted, just make sure there's no slow drip from the fibe washer and the float is secured.

Personally I only ever change the whole ballvalve if its totally scaled up etc. I just split it and replace all the internal parts including split pin, will be good for another twenty years. Ballvalves are getting more and more expensive and its silly to keep of scrapping a decent valve just because the washer and seat are worn. Too many things are just chucked out these days when they can be easily repaired.

I do the same with toilet siphons, why carry 3 or 4 bulky siphons when you can carry a selection of diaphrams and a rubble sack and some rubber seals. I do have spare ones if really need them though.

Cheers for the advice. I've popped up once or twice to check and will continue to do so for a few days, but all seems good so far. I was thinking of sticking a bit of plumbers mait around the connections, just as an extra layer of seal - is that advisable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need a plumber to do a quick attic ballcock job - Liverpool in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi to you all, I only registered last night and this is my first post. I hope someone can come up with a solution as I'm at a loss with my...
Replies
Views
L
B
Hi there this is probably one of those posts which will have all of you experts scratching your heads thinking 'we've got a right one here' but...
Replies
Views
Bluesman
B
Most of you who build or maintain your own websites will be aware how difficult it can be to find decent images around the web which are not...
Replies
Views
T
Z
Hi everyone... I'm brand new to the forum, and tbh I don't really understand the layout of the posts. I've searched on here for answers the the...
Replies
Views
REDSAW
R
1st one at 1:30 - low pressure at all outlets after main stop tap used. Nice and easy eh? Obviously the plate that holds the washer in the stop...
Replies
Views
Back