Discuss Mixer tap causing overflow, does this sound plausible? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

harve

Hi, I've been having an issue recently and wondering if I've figured it out, perhaps someone could help...

I've recently noticed that the cold tank in the loft (the big tank, not the one connected to the heating) has had a regular dribble from the overflow. It seems to be worse when a mixer tap in the bathroom (which was installed about a year ago) is run. At its worst its a constant stream that lasts for about half an hour after the taps are run.

I thought it could be the stopcock so went up in the loft to have a look. Its definitely not that as I turned it off. There is a pipe that runs from the hot water cylinder to the bottom of the cold tank in the loft. I guess this is the cold supply to the hot water cylinder as it connects to the bottom of the HW cylinder. This seems to be filling the CW tank and gets hot after a while which shouldn't be right surely?

So what I'm thinking is if the mixer tap is letting cold water into the hot supply possibly, then its causing the HW tank to overflow pushing hot water into the cold tank? The hot water to the mixer tap is rubbish. It seems to be way overpowered by the cold supply, so I guess something has gone wrong somewhere? Should the plumber have fitted a non return valve to the hot supply to the mixer?

Or could it be something else? I've read that this could be caused by a split coil in the HW cylinder? It seems to have got worse over the last few weeks which might support this possibly. The boiler is pretty old and is kettling quite badly (I'm getting it replaced soon) so I dont know if this could be causing the issue as well?

Any help would be great.
Thanks

very comman issue,

easily fixed by installing DOUBLE CHECK valves on the feeds to tap

Also common with Thermostatic Mixing Valves and as Simon says, fit double check/non return valves and the problem is cured.

Thanks, I'll try the valves and see what happens. Its wasn't a cheap tap - it's a hansgrohe something or other.

Next problem - I can only find 15mm compression fit double check valves. Is there anywhere that does one that has a screw thread? The pipes are chased into the wall with only a 15mm screw thread on the isolation valve. Preferably in chrome!
Thanks

Do you have any photos?

Maybe easier to make a suggestion

It is possible the overflow is caused by a split cylinder coil perhaps, but an old system like that is probably more likely to discolour the water as well. It depends what sort of system you have. Its also common for the mixer to be fed off a low pressure hot supply and a mains pressure cold. If its not a bi-flow mixer then the high pressure cold will force the hot back up the cold feed and into the tank. Although its more correct to fit a none return valve close to the fitting, its also possible to trace the supplies and fit them where you can access the pipework and buy standard none return valves.
Make sure you know where your putting them though and the cylinder is left with a free flowing vent. Make sure you put them in the right way around. Try BES Plumbing they are usually a bit pricey but quick and good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mixer tap causing overflow, does this sound plausible? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock