Discuss Luke Warm Water from Hot Tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

If your cylinder is fully heated to 60-65c I am surprised it is only leaving at 37c is that at the top of the cylinder?

From the top of the cylinder

0EA6E8DB-31DB-4543-9B86-C1DB5748D1A9.jpeg

I think it might be a good idea to get a g3 qualified engineer in to check the controls etc on your cylinder.
I have to leave now but will try and see how you get on later. Good luck.

Thank you to everyone who has added great help.

Last night I checked and there is no external thermostat on the megaflow tank. There is a thermostat for the immersion heater set to 4.

The Valliant EcoTec boiler has a flow temp set at 74C. On the front panel there is no symbol for “tap heat” only the boiler symbol.

This makes me wonder how the tank temp is regulated. Any ideas? And yes, this still doesn’t solve the problem of potential backflow in the piping...

Thanks again

There absolutely will be a thermostat on the cylinder. The boiler you have is likely what is known as a heat only boiler. This means that it will receive a call to heat water in the central heating or water inside a coil within your cylinder or both. This will be controlled by valves allowing the water to circulate through the radiators or through the coil in the cylinder. It will also be controlled by thermostats which will tell the boiler to turn on and off

Have you not had the shower checked yet?
The thermostat will be on the cylinder, but not something you should be touching. You may also have a faulty valve on the cylinder but again something you are not qualified to look at, so please call in a qualified person to check these problems for you.

Last edited:
The water is heated through the boiler (plus we have an immersion heater)

My message above was not accurate. What I meant to say was that the water leaving the tank (after being heated via the boiler) is 37C. When I check just the hot supply (isolate the cold) at the kitchen sink it’s at 16C making me think that the cold has mixed with the hot before it gets to the kitchen.

Sorry for my sloppy message

What’s the circulation temperature of the pipework from the boiler to the cylinder coil? It sounds like the first issue to sort out is why your hot water is only body temperature in the cylinder. I’d want to get the cylinder temperature to 65° or more before messing around with pipework, taps, valves & showers. It’s also worth checking your temperature equipment. 37° is body temperature: does the hot water from the top of the cylinder feel about the same temperature as your hand? It might seem like a daft thing to check but that temperature from the cylinder is surprisingly low.

What’s the circulation temperature of the pipework from the boiler to the cylinder coil? It sounds like the first issue to sort out is why your hot water is only body temperature in the cylinder. I’d want to get the cylinder temperature to 65° or more before messing around with pipework, taps, valves & showers. It’s also worth checking your temperature equipment. 37° is body temperature: does the hot water from the top of the cylinder feel about the same temperature as your hand? It might seem like a daft thing to check but that temperature from the cylinder is surprisingly low.

Thanks for this. The temperature of the pipes coming into the tank is approximately 65C. The boiler is set to 74C (so the actual water temp to the tank's heat exchanger seems right.) - I spoke to Megaflow and they suggested that it was either a thermostat issue or corrosion/blockage for the heat exchanger coils within the tank.

By turning on the immersion heater we got the water from the top of the tank up to 65C - so now the water coming out is absolutely hot!

Is there much difference in the temperature of the flow into the cylinder and the return from it? It’s best tested from cold and the pipework should be notably cooler from the cylinder when it first kicks up and the difference in temperature will decrease as the cylinder gets hotter. If there’s not much difference then try putting some sludge remover in the heating system to give it a bit of a clean but be sure to then drain down completely and refill with inhibitor. You could even disconnect it completely and see what the coil in the cylinder looks like from the pipework connection to it.
An easy check on the thermostat is to test the continuity across the switch and turn it up and down and try to gauge whether it clicks at the right sort of temperature. If you’ve not had the immersion on and the tank is about 35° then you should hear the switch click at around that temperature on the dial.

Reply to Luke Warm Water from Hot Tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
We have hot water, tank for hot water why is the hot water boiling hot from tap,and shower, We are on a schedule for hot water via our hive app...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
Got intermittent hot water coming the from a combi boiler to kitchen mixer tap when it hits the T junction for the upstairs bath it's hot, but on...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, I woke up this morning with cold water (mains) from downstairs tap but no hot water from downstairs tap, and no water at all from all the...
Replies
Views
Mike Young
M

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock