Search the forum,

Discuss Low Waterflow + Shower is hard to regulate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Filip

Hi,

We live in a house that recently renovated, but not by us, so I have very little information about the way it was done. I do know however that the renovation wasn't done by experts (as I can tell from the way the electricity was done).

We have two problems with our water flow. I am not sure whether they are related, but since they could be, I decided to post them in the same topic.

First problem : Our waterflow is pretty low.

I just did some measurements:
Groundlevel Cold water : 7.2 liters/minute
Groundlevel Hot water : 5.6 liters/minute
First floor Cold water : 6.5 liters/minute
First floor hot water : 5 liters / minute

Second problem: The shower is very hard to regulate. We have a thermostatic shower, but when we try to regulate the temperature, the temperature stays very cold up to around 38 degrees, and then when you turn it a bit warmer, it becomes very hot all of a sudden

Thanks in advance,

Filip

First thing mate , is the stop tal fully open, is the stoptap in the street fully open. Does anybody else in the street have the same problem ??

Hi,

Thanks for the fast response. I went down to the cellar and checked the stoptap.
It was fully open. I also checked the robinet that was placed at the entry point of my house.
I wanted to do a water flow test there as well, but I had to stop since the power of the water caused the water to jump out of my bucket. I have no figure, but the waterflow was very strong there.

There was one component, that I did not understood what it did though. It can be seen in the pictures below:

https://goo.gl/photos/ZubsW5E7obQyacaEA
https://goo.gl/photos/gqAuspJbLvCihr9X8

Is this a component that regulates the flow ?

Filip

Its a pressure reducing valve that may well be the problem. Most have a gauze filter you can remove and clean , but if its an old one you may be quicker changing it

It says : "Unscrew to adjust" on the top of it.
Is this something that I, a complete newbie, can try ? Is there a risk of it breaking apart and my cellar being filled with water ?

Filip

Not if you turn off the mains if you are cleaning the filter. If you're adjusting the pressure up then just be aware. Where you start adjusting and where you finish

Last edited:
I had one just before xmas, patheticaly low flow, filter wouldnt come out , so it was easier to change it , customer has a bit too much now lol.

Hopefuly that maybe your problem

That would be lovely indeed. But since I dont see any way to close the mains, I will not touch it myself but get a professional in...
Thanks for all your help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Low Waterflow + Shower is hard to regulate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello! Im Martyn Im new here and have joined for some advice on a couple of things. Ive got an issue with a Mira mixer shower that has increasingly become harder to operate. The shower was installed before I moved into the house. Basically what happens is that I turn the shower on so there's...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
Hello, We hade a problem with our hot water not working in one of our bathroom's (all other outlets were working) Therefore we got the Thermostatic Shower Valve changed and everything was working again. However a few days later, both hot and cold no longer works for the bath and the hot...
Replies
Views
I have a problem with noise and vibrations from my shower when i first turn it on. The problem lasts for about 30 seconds after the shower is switched on before it stops. There is a sink nearby, sometimes if we switch that on slowly before turning on the shower then the shower doesn't make a...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock