Discuss Learning on the job. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DIY

Plumbers

Hi there,

As my username DIY implies, I’m a complete amateur at plumbing. Back in 1979 my wife and I moved into a very old farmhouse. (It has a staircase of a type that went out of fashion about 400 years ago.) We made a lot of changes. The ones that involved plumbing were moving a gas-fired Rayburn stove from the front of the house to a new kitchen at the back, and shifting the hot-water cylinder to a position above the Rayburn so that the circulation between the cylinder and the stove was as efficient as possible. Moving the Rayburn involved taking the gas supply from the meter at the front of the house through to the back. We contacted the local gas board and a nice, practical man came to assess the job. He kept making those little intakes of breath that send the £££ indicator in your head into overdrive. After a while, he said “Who did your water plumbing?” I told him I had. “Well, don’t tell anyone I said this, but do the gas plumbing yourself, and we’ll test it and connect if it’s safe.” So that’s what I did, and tested it for leaks by connecting it to the water main. It passed the gas board’s test with flying colours.

Those were the days! Today, that sort of DIY probably contravenes a whole bunch of laws. It may horrify some of you professionals, too?

Hi iy

Welcome to the forums

you find everything you do these days contravenes a bunch of laws and regulations,thats the way the world has gone

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Learning on the job. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built...
Replies
Views
All, Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am in a bit of a predicament. I have recently had a stove fitted in a chimney that had a disconnected and...
Replies
Views
Good'ay Wondering what I have been doing wrong or what I should be doing differently. Have had some jobs lately where I will carry out a gas...
Replies
Views
I'd like to install an unvented cylinder in the loft. With limited headroom it would have to be horizontal. I want to keep my existing valiant...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock