Search the forum,

Discuss unknown pipe in old fire-place. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

All,

Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am in a bit of a predicament. I have recently had a stove fitted in a chimney that had a disconnected and capped gas fire. The old gas line went straight out the back wall and was visibly capped a short distance from the gas meter. A simple pull out job. Upon removing the fireplace, the fitters called me to say they discovered another pipe, also capped, just inside the and to the left of the firewell, it ran down into the fire bed. This pipe had no yellow lining to show that it was a gas pipe. They did however shut the gas off and drill a pilot hole to test if the pipe was active. There was no indication that the pipe was in use. No hissing, no smell, no water. When digging down into the old fireplace the pipe pulled easily out of the ground, showing signs of corrosion. They proceeded to fit the hearth and now the wood burner has been installed. I am however worried about what the pipe may have been. I have had a gas safe engineer out to test our current gas line. There is no gas smell, no signs of a leak, no pressure drop - a perfectly sealed system. Any advise welcome to put my mind at ease. Photos attached.

Attachments

• Gas Line - Exterior.jpg
    Gas Line - Exterior.jpg
    1,006.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Gas Line - Interior.jpg
    Gas Line - Interior.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Mystery Pipe.jpg
    Mystery Pipe.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Mystery Pipe - Zoomed.jpg
    Mystery Pipe - Zoomed.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 13
Old gas prob 10mm coated copper ? Eg been capped off outside

No indication that it even goes outside. No sign of any other branches off mains or meter. Should I be worried?

About two foot to the left of the black pipe is poking out a yellow copper 10mm pipe

Chances are the old one was leaking and a new one was installed through that hole and the old one was left in

About two foot to the left of the black pipe is poking out a yellow copper 10mm pipe

Chances are the old one was leaking and a new one was installed through that hole and the old one was left in
Apologies, correct. The yellow was the old gas fire. It was disconnected and capped around 7years ago. What you see externally is where they simply cut the pipe when installing the new wood burner. My worry is the unknown pipe internally, front left of fireplace.

Apologies, correct. The yellow was the old gas fire. It was disconnected and capped around 7years ago. What you see externally is where they simply cut the pipe when installing the new wood burner. My worry is the unknown pipe internally, front left of fireplace.

Prob a very old gas feed that was removed years ago when the new fire was installed

Nope I wouldn’t worrie about it

Reply to unknown pipe in old fire-place. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have recently moved in to a house and in one of the kitchen units where I want to put a intergrated freezer there is a small pipe coming out of the wall. Assuming it's a old gas pipe for the cooker that's been capped as the kitchen no longer requires it. Can this be removed by a...
Replies
Views
We have an old gas pipe in the understairs cupboard. The previous occupants had the gas meter moved, but this old pipe remained. This pipe goes behind the electrical CU which I'm due to have replaced soon. We are looking to cut the old pipe out, but trying to working out what material it's...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
R
After some advice, had a gas fire removed and now left with the pipe capped and a hole which houses the pipe which was behind the fireplace. How is best to cover this up and fill it please?
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock