Search the forum,

Discuss Fun with inconsistent gas tests results in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Good'ay
Wondering what I have been doing wrong or what I should be doing differently.

Have had some jobs lately where I will carry out a gas test on residential work and it will fail, I will isolate stove, hwu and any bayonet connections and still fail, I can do up to 6 testes on one job and have what appears to be a consistent drop.
But come back the next day with everything connected and will get a solid pass on all my tests.

I tend to use a digital Manometer, weather with be consistent and nothing will be heating or cooling any of the pipework. Rural so always LPG and hook up by disconnecting regulator and attaching a test nipple onto the flared cu pipe.

Any clues as to what I'm mucking up? because I have wasted more hours on gas leaks than I would like to admit

Cheers

Also is pipework purged ?
Not completely with an inert gas no, it's always small residential houses,20m - 30m of cu pipe in total on the whole service, and do not know any plumbers around that do fully purge for testing.

How much of an effect would that have on my testing? More sensative to temperature fluctuations or?

What happens with the figures do they just keep dropping eg 30-5mbar to 30-25-30-46 etc ?

LPG does eat through hoses and I've lost some hours chasing nonexistent leaks.
Tried using black hose but seems to still leak.
Small volume, relaxing rubber hose, temp all have massive effects on pressure and it can be a bit of a nightmare at times.
Personally (and this really isn't right) If it's an awkward system to test I like to do at high pressure like 110mb and monitor for a prolonged period. If there's an issue you'll see it and can look for leaks but otherwise it may stabilise within 5 min and if it holds pressure (stays in a range) for 5 more then your good.

Believe it or not this does conform to a tightness test procedure for LPG, just prob not one specific to your situation, I'd say it exceeds the requirement and that's that

LPG does eat through hoses and I've lost some hours chasing nonexistent leaks.
Tried using black hose but seems to still leak.
Small volume, relaxing rubber hose, temp all have massive effects on pressure and it can be a bit of a nightmare at times.
Personally (and this really isn't right) If it's an awkward system to test I like to do at high pressure like 110mb and monitor for a prolonged period. If there's an issue you'll see it and can look for leaks but otherwise it may stabilise within 5 min and if it holds pressure (stays in a range) for 5 more then your good.

Believe it or not this does conform to a tightness test procedure for LPG, just prob not one specific to your situation, I'd say it exceeds the requirement and that's that
I might look into getting new hoses even though I can't find a leak on them, and might have to start high-pressure testing more often, it's a bugger to disconnect every but what ever works at this point!
Cheers!

Working with KPA, start the test around 3.30kpa and it will generally drop .01 every 1-3 minutes
Does it keep dropping or drops a lot and then rises ?

Reply to Fun with inconsistent gas tests results in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've air tested pipework for years, typically 4 bar for 30 minutes. I've never had an issue with any pipework that has passed that test, occasionally you get a small leak from the air test typically old cap ends/scratched pipe which shows up easily on the test without having to inspect anything...
Replies
Views
We have an old gas pipe in the understairs cupboard. The previous occupants had the gas meter moved, but this old pipe remained. This pipe goes behind the electrical CU which I'm due to have replaced soon. We are looking to cut the old pipe out, but trying to working out what material it's...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, My chimney failed the test so I need to install a flue liner for my Gazco Stockton gas fire. It was over a year ago when the engineer condemned the chimney and I remember him also saying something about it needing some sort of box fitted into the fire recess but I can't remember the...
Replies
Views
I am troubleshooting a gas hob where one burner is reluctant to light. When it is lit and I blow the flame out the FSD on that burner cuts off immediately, whereas the others take 5-10 seconds as normal. I have tested the thermoucouple for continuity and also some sort of mV output (when held...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have recently had a conservatory installed, covering the full length of the kitchen. I have just failed my gas safety inspection due to lack of ventilation. I have a ventless extractor fan, thinking that would do that job… but apparently not. Is there any other solutions to it? and why...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock