Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder with heat only boiler?? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I'd like to install an unvented cylinder in the loft. With limited headroom it would have to be horizontal.
I want to keep my existing valiant condensing boiler.

I currently have a vented set up.

A couple of plumbers said this could work.

Will the feed and expansion tank for the central heating have to be moved higher than the horizontal cylinder?

Has anyone done this?

Any advice appreciated. I want to get rid of the old 162 litre tank and pump and valves in the bathroom to give me more space. Also it used to run out of water when all 5 had showers. I've tested the pressure at garden tap. Just over 3 bar and a plumber tested flow with a cup device which over flowed, reckoned about 25 litres minute. I'd like the pump and valves moved to separate area on the landing about 10 feet away.

Another plumber said that this is a big job and never came back with a quote. I can't disagree as I'm not a plumber but surely this must be possible.

2 bathrooms. Steering away from combi as never had a good experience with them. I did get a quote option to replace boiler with combi at 5.5k plus vat. Not really an option for me at the moment.

Yes it can be done, but I would also suggest it is a decent sized job. It would be advisable to seal the heating system rather than raise the header cistern.
Also there's considerable pipework with cylinders, not to mention weight added to the ceiling rafters.
I would get a couple of quotes from decent reputable engineers and see what they come back with.

Yes it can be done, but I would also suggest it is a decent sized job. It would be advisable to seal the heating system rather than raise the header cistern.
Also there's considerable pipework with cylinders, not to mention weight added to the ceiling rafters.
I would get a couple of quotes from decent reputable engineers and see what they come back with.

100% an unvented cylinder is better with the numbers you have given and definitely seal the heating system.

How olds the property and whats the general plumbing like in the house? (has a diyer gone mad?) You're about to pressurise all the pipework that you can't see, you need a fair bit of faith that the plumbing is good so you don't end up taking ceilings and floors up all over the house.

In terms of work in the loft it shouldn't be too bad, would have thought it would be around the £4-5k mark for the plumbing. Alterations to loft hatches and strengthening timbers will be more.

Thanks for the replies, I'll be getting the drawings soon from the SE so i can build the correct platform in the loft for cylinder and work area.
I've had a quote come back for 6.1k inc vat. to include 200l tank, convert conventional to sealed system. run a new 22mm mains pipe up to loft and replumb based on floor already being lifted for access.

Look at a Viessman 222 10 year manufacturers warranty and all that water stored in your loft can be removed no structural work to do no worries about leakage or freezing up, when connected to their weather compensation sensor and app its very cost effective and efficient worth a thought ? I've never been a fan of horizontal cylinders the hot water storage is not the same as a vertical one a drestrat pump helps but not for me I'm afraid. Kop

Attachments

• PXL_20210319_085445639.jpg
    PXL_20210319_085445639.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20210319_130222802.jpg
    PXL_20210319_130222802.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20210318_120536561.jpg
    PXL_20210318_120536561.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20210319_162357305.jpg
    PXL_20210319_162357305.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20210317_115650453.jpg
    PXL_20210317_115650453.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20210317_120953352.jpg
    PXL_20210317_120953352.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 7

Reply to Unvented cylinder with heat only boiler?? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock